VMware Communities
rileypratt
Contributor
Contributor

Windows hangs on boot

My Windows hangs on boot in Fusion.  This just started happening for no apparent reason.  I have been losing network connection on the Windows side recently but I have not found a specific reason for this.  Are there any known issues with recent Mac or Windows updates?

Macbook Pro Big Sur 11.4

Windows 10

VMware Fusion 12

2 Replies
rileypratt
Contributor
Contributor

One more thing.  I cannot seem to boot windows in safe mode.  I try fn8 immediately but Windows starts almost instantly.  If I cannot resolve this is my only option to reinstall windows?  Finally, is there any way to access Windows files from the Mac side without starting Windows?  There may be files I want to retrieve.

Thank you!

wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

There are no known issue with VMware Fusion or Windows 10 that breaks booting of your VM.

For accessing the recovery environment, Windows no longer uses the F8 key (that was Windows XP and earlier, probably also still in Vista, I don't think after that).
Instead you either choose the option on reboot or.. you intentionally fail boot for 3 times.

More details here:
https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-start-windows-10-in-safe-mode

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos