VMware Communities
Merilyn
Contributor
Contributor

Windows game won't run.

I purchased VMWare Fusion and put both it and Windows XP on my Macbook Pro

this morning. Then I tried putting the game Perfect World International

on. It downloaded and installed just fine but when it came time to

actually play it, the whole thing basically crashed.

First, the window kept minimizing and maximizing itself really oddly.

Then, when I finally got in-game, the whole thing was incredibly laggy.

It was so bad that I just shut the game and Windows down.

My boyfriend had the same problem concerning lag with this game. I

think he was able to run MapleStory as well as other games just fine

though so I'm not sure what's up.

Here is a link to PWI's system requirements :

And the only thing I touched was my harddrive size so all my other info

should be pretty standard. I believe my Windows partition was 40GB and

so I have about 255.56GB left.

If everything is set up properly, shouldn't Windows compatible games run just fine as long as you have the space?Someone else said to remove Fusion and just run it natively but I'm new to all this so I'm not sure what that means or how to do it.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TheLoneVM
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have seen the full screen-windowed minimimze/maximize bug before, still not sure exactly what triggers it, but seems to be caused by switching Fusion to fullscreen (or back to single window) around the same time a game is doing a mode switch, or while playing. Try setting the VM to fullscreen first, and then launch the game if you want to run in Fullscreen mode.

As for performance, I have ran this game on MacBook Pro, and it was playable. I managed to get my character up to 10th level, it was a little laggy in some places, like in town with a lot of people, but overall was pretty good. What kind of Mac are you running this on? 3D is very heavily reliant on the graphics card of your Mac, and will be slow on some graphic devices.

0 Kudos
Merilyn
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using a Macbook Pro, 13 inch, I just got it two days ago. I'll try what you suggested but I can't remember if I changed the screen size when it did that or not.

EDIT: I tried making it full screen and then launching the game and it didn't do the maximizing/minimizing thing but when I made to click confirm on the announcement page, the whole game just shrunk. And the lag in-game is really kinda bad...

0 Kudos