VMware Communities
fmh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows disk size much smaller than VMWare partition

I was installing a Windows program into what I thought was a copious amount of hard disk space -- a total of 75 gigabytes -- when I suddenly discovered that my Windows space was about 55 gigs less than I allocated in Fusion. In My Computer, I right clicked on the C drive, and the graphic displayed said dthat I had a total capacity on Drive C of 19.9 GB with 2.6 GB free. Yet in my virtual machine settings it says that I have allocated 75 GB of space to Windows. What accounts for this enormous discrepancy? The compute only has 320 gig hard disk. Do I need to -- is it possible to -- move my WIndows partition to an external hard drive?

Screen clips attached so that maybe you can spot something I'm not understanding correcly.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have a look at:

0 Kudos
fmh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Woody, that worked brilliantly! Thank you very much. There is an irony, though, in the fact that Vista contains a disk partition management utility whose absence in XP Easeus supplements, when it was precisely for the reason of avoiding Vista that I purchased my first Mac. (My few encounters with Vista on other folks' comuters convinced me that I didn't want it.)

Again, thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is an irony, though, in the fact that Vista contains a disk partition management

Well at least Microsoft got one thing right with Vista. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There is an irony, though, in the fact that Vista contains a disk partition management utility whose absence in XP Easeus supplements

Diskpart (command-line utility) is in XP, 2000, and 2003. The only caveat is that you cannot use Diskpart to resize the boot partition - so you need to temporarily add the virtual disk as a 2nd disk to another VM (so that it isn't the boot partition for THAT VM), use that VM to resize the disk, then remove it from the 2nd VM, start your original VM and you should see the new size.

0 Kudos