VMware Communities
paddyo
Contributor
Contributor

Windows XP pro resetting password

Any ideas for workarounds to resetting password in a VM environment?

PaddyO

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sure. Use the same procedure you would do with a physical machine.

There are several tools you can use to reset the local Administrator password on a Windows machine listed here:

Here is the one that I have used several times in the past: .

Keep in mind that if you force-change a password using one of the above tools you might lose access to any Encrypted files on your drive (if you don't know what I'm talking about then you most likely do not have any encrypted files to worry about).

Since you're running a VM, take a snapshot of your system before you try the tool. That way you can "roll back" if something goes wrong!

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

Control Panel | User Accounts | Select the user you want and choose the "Reset Password" or "Change my password" button/link. This varies depending on whether or not your VM is part of a domain.

Why do you want (or need) to change the password, or need a workaround to doing so. Am I not understanding something?

0 Kudos
paddyo
Contributor
Contributor

Jim I have no access to control panel. I am stuck on the opening screen of XP Pro. Which requires an administrator password before entering into the OS.

Paddy

0 Kudos
paddyo
Contributor
Contributor

The first link you provided recommends not using their procedure for XP pro.

The second link appears to be a procedure for Windows NT.

Am I wrong here?

Any other ideas.

Paddy

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have used the "second" link ( "Offline NT Password & Registry Editor" - ) successfully on several Windows XP systems in the past. It now appears that the latest version also supports Vista, which is good to know!

However, these tools are typically written and documented by advanced Windows administrators so they assume an advanced level of Windows familiarity. If you are not comfortable with using these types of tools I suggest contacting a local IT Professional who should be able to help you out for a small fee.

Make sure to make a "backup" of your system before trying any of these tools. Since you are running XP inside a VM you can accomplish this by just taking a snapshot of your VM beforehand. This way you have something to roll back to in case things go wrong.

0 Kudos
getwired
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is also a commercial tool available from here that you can use on XP (disclaimer: I know the author):

http://backspacesoftware.com/

0 Kudos