VMware Communities
schmidp
Contributor
Contributor

Windows XP VM, SCSI Warning

Hi,

everytime I start or resume my Windows XP VM I get a Warning that Windows XP doesn't support the Buslogic SCSI controller out of the box and that I should install a driver if I haven't done so.

My VM works great, how can I get rid of this message?

lg philipp

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

There should be a checkbox on the message to never show it again.

0 Kudos
schmidp
Contributor
Contributor

Yes there should be one, but there isn't Smiley Happy

Please have a look at the attached screenshot.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Leopard isn't supported (since it's not finalized); for example the device icons don't show up in the lower right corner either.

0 Kudos
schmidp
Contributor
Contributor

I understand that, but I think VMware stores which messages the user doesn't want to display in the vmx file, is it possible to get the key for this particular message so that I can disable it manually?

thanks philipp

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

hint.buslogic.needDriver = "FALSE"[/code] goes in ~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/preferences (create if necessary)

bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Sorry for jumping in late.

The VMware Fusion Easy Install feature creates a Windows XP VM with the SCSI drivers installed. It stifles the warning by adding the following lines to the .vmx file inside the VM's directory:

lsilogic.noDriver = "FALSE"

buslogic.noDriver = "FALSE"

You can also add these lines manually to your .vmx file if you don't want to disable the hint for all VMs as etung suggested.

schmidp
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much!

BTW: I couldn't use the windows easy install because I use a Windows XP install disk from my university that normally installs without a product key (doesn't even aks for one) and the university doesn't give you a product key if you purchase it.

When I tried easy install the installation does ask you for a product key, but I don't have one and couldn't complete the installation.

I guess the install cd comes with a volume licence key stored somewhere on the cd.

0 Kudos