VMware Communities
IsraelThompson
Contributor
Contributor

Windows XP SP2 not showing applications in Add/Remove apps (VMWare version 1.1)

Hello all,

I've just installed a fresh version of Windows XP Pro SP2 and don't see any installed applications when I go to Add/Remove applications in my control panel. I read something in VMWare's Knowledge Base where installing the version 1.1 update should fix the problem, but I'm already running version 1.1. (http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1001715&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&dialogID=40959682&stateId=0%200%2040955777) Anyone have any thoughts?

I need to be able to get to apps installed, so I can revert my browser from IE7 to IE6 for web testing. Any help is appreciated!

Sincerely,

Israel

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Hello all,

I've just installed a fresh version of Windows XP Pro SP2 and don't see any installed applications when I go to Add/Remove applications in my control panel. I read something in VMWare's Knowledge Base where installing the version 1.1 update should fix the problem, but I'm already running version 1.1.

The URL you referenced has absolutely nothing what-so-ever to do with your issue!

If you just installed Windows XP SP2 then you should still have IE6 as IE7 is not a part of Windows XP SP2.

Note: Windows XP SP2 in this context is the Windows XP OS install CD that is at version SP2 not the Windows XP SP2 Upgrade and in either case IE7 is a seperate upgrade.

If you have not installed any application or run Windows Update then there should not be anything listed to uninstall and on a fresh install of Windows XP SP2 and without VMware Tools installed the Change or Remove Programs pane should be blank!

There are 4 panes available on the Add or Remove Programs Control Panel applet and the default is Change or Remove Programs. If you want to modify the Windows OS Components that were a part of the original OS install then you need to select the Add/Remove Windows Components pane.

Are you saying that you have installed programs after the OS install and none of the programs you installed are showing in the Change or Remove Programs pane of the Add or Remove Programs Control Panel applet?

0 Kudos
IsraelThompson
Contributor
Contributor

I've installed Windows XP Pro (Version 2002) SP2. When it's installed IE7 is the default browser.

When I go to control panel > add/remove programs > change or remove programs, the only program I see installed is VMWare Tools. I tried switching to add/remove windows components like you suggested and when I uninstalled Internet Explorer and restarted the virtual machine, I had no browser.

Previously, before I posted this thread, I tried downloading and then uninstalling IE7, with no results. I also read some documentation on uninstalling IE7 via command line options while logged into your regular user account or in safe mode via command line. Neither worked, because the folder and file suggested didn't exist.

I'm beginning to think this is more of a Windows issue than a VMWare issue, but I'm still not sure. Anytime I've had experiences installing SP2 and the countless updates, I've always been able to go back and uninstall any I choose. Installing them pre-bundled on the OS disk is new to me however.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Israel

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I've installed Windows XP Pro (Version 2002) SP2. When it's installed IE7 is the default browser.

When I go to control panel > add/remove programs > change or remove programs, the only program I see installed is VMWare Tools. I tried switching to add/remove windows components like you suggested and when I uninstalled Internet Explorer and restarted the virtual machine, I had no browser.

Windows XP SP2 was implemented around August of 2004 and Internet Explorer 7 didn't come out until 2 years later. The Default Browser in Windows XP SP2 is IE6!

If the CD you have has IE7 on it it is not a part of the XP OS or SP SP2 it is a separately install application and certainly can be done so silently.

Regardless the issue your having has nothing to do with VMware Fusion because if you took that same source disc and installed it on a physical machine you wold have the same situation less the fact that VMware Tools would not be installed on the Physical Machine.

Your best bet is to search Microsoft or Google for the fastest resolution to your issue.

0 Kudos