VMware Communities
mcreilly
Contributor
Contributor

Windows VM keeps hanging - event log errors 508 and 510

I'm running Win10 with all available Microsoft updates under Fusion 12.2.1 on a 2019 iMac (8 core i9 with 64Gb of RAM so pretty beefy).

Windows and its applications keep hanging. They'll just pause for a while (sometimes, not always, with a "Not responding" message) then pick up where they left off. I'm seeing errors 508 and 510, which report things like:

taskhostw (7312,D,0) WebCacheLocal: A request to write to the file "C:\Users\mr\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\V01.log" at offset 24576 (0x0000000000006000) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time (16 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

The "hardware" for this machine is obviously Fusion. I have a few other VMs running on the same iMac (e.g. a couple of Ubuntu systems and an ancient WinXP "sandbox" for some picky applications I can't retire) and those don't seem to have any problems. The underlying iMac doesn't experience applications pausing like this, it's just things running in Win10.

What troubleshooting steps should I take to try to fix this?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Multiple questions:  What's the guest config (CPU and RAM)?  Have you run first-aid on the host drive (especially if it's a spinning disk) and on the guest drive?

0 Kudos