VMware Communities
gentuie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows Shortcuts on Mac Desktop - Possible?

I am trying to configure a particular Windows XP application to be as easy as possible for a user to launch from their Mac Desktop. Would it be possible to create a shortcut to the Windows program so that all that would have to be done to run the windows program is clicking on the desktop icon (from Leopard)?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes. The simple way to do this is to switch to Unity mode, then start the program you want. It should appear in the Dock. You can then ctrl-click it and select Keep In Dock.

A more advanced option would be to look in the .vmwarevm bundle for the virtual machine under Applications. It should contain pointers to all the programs you've used in Unity mode, you're free to pick one and move or alias it to the Desktop or wherever else you want.

Edit: Corrected which programs should appear in the virtual machine's Applications folder. Thanks Woody!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes. The simple way to do this is to switch to Unity mode, then start the program you want. It should appear in the Dock. You can then ctrl-click it and select Keep In Dock.

A more advanced option would be to look in the .vmwarevm bundle for the virtual machine under Applications. It should contain pointers to all the programs you've used in Unity mode, you're free to pick one and move or alias it to the Desktop or wherever else you want.

Edit: Corrected which programs should appear in the virtual machine's Applications folder. Thanks Woody!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A more advanced option would be to look in the .vmwarevm bundle for the virtual machine under Applications. It should contain pointers to all the programs in the Windows Start menu, you're free to pick one and move or alias it to the Desktop or wherever else you want.

Would it not be more accurate to say that the contents of the Application Folder show applications with GUI's that you have already executed at least once in Unity mode? It does not contain a list of all programs in the Windows Start menu nor does it show applications that run without a graphic user interface in Unity mode.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Would it not be more accurate to say that the contents of the Application Folder show applications with GUI's that you have already executed at least once in Unity mode? It does not contain a list of all programs in the Windows Start menu nor does it show applications that run without a graphic user interface in Unity mode.

Since we populate the Applications menu, I assumed we actually created the helper apps, but I just checked and it does seem to only be on the fly as you say. Thanks for keeping me honest Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
gentuie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Using Etung's first method, I have noticed that there is a small strange bug that can be frequently (but not consistently) reproduced:

When Fusion (not just the app in coherence mode, but the whole fusion program) is closed 'via File-->Close', sometimes a 'ghost' process will remain open, with an icon in the dock, but no window visable. Right-clicking on the dock icon and quitting (or I think it even has a basic file menu if clicked on) will close the ghost. Until the ghost is closed, the shortcut will not work.

I have yet to try the second method of creating the shortcut, but I will do so this evening and report back. Also I'll take a screen-grab of the ghost and post it so you have a better idea what on earth I'm refering to.

0 Kudos