VMware Communities
mdelvecchio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows Server VM: how to configure for specific IP?

Hello,

I'm using Fusion 6 on the latest OS X version. I have an old Windows 2000 VM that I'm replacing w/ Server 2012. The 2000 VM uses TCP/IP (v4) but does not obtain its IP automatically -- I have it set to a specific IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS server:

Screen Shot 2014-04-23 at 10.32.26 AM.png

...the gateway and DNS server IP is that of my router, which connects to a cable modem. Now I'm trying to configure the Server 2012 VM to use almost the same (different IP address, of course: 10.0.1.15).  However when I configure this Server 2012 reports an error:

DHCP is not enabled for "Ethernet0"

If Windows is allowed to auto-correct the problem it reverts settings to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

I'm new to Server 2012 and may not have set something correctly in it or Fusion. Are there any good guides to doing this properly?

thanks,

matt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Based on what you said re using the static IP info of your Router the only aspect of this that is on the VMware Fusion side of things is to set the Virtual Machine's Network Adapter to Bridged under its Settings and obviously select the appropriate adapter under Bridged Networking on the Network Adapter sheet.

The other side of this is a Windows issue.  Setting a static IP Address is done basically the same way on Windows Server 2012 as any other version of Windows with a GUI the last 20 years.

BTW I can reproduce the Windows Network Diagnostics Problems found message, 'DHCP is not enabled for "Ethernet0"', and assuming you actually have Internet/Network Connectivity, which I do with a static IP set and received the same Windows message, then I'd just ignore the message.  If you do not have Internet/Network Connectivity then that's a different story! Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Based on what you said re using the static IP info of your Router the only aspect of this that is on the VMware Fusion side of things is to set the Virtual Machine's Network Adapter to Bridged under its Settings and obviously select the appropriate adapter under Bridged Networking on the Network Adapter sheet.

The other side of this is a Windows issue.  Setting a static IP Address is done basically the same way on Windows Server 2012 as any other version of Windows with a GUI the last 20 years.

BTW I can reproduce the Windows Network Diagnostics Problems found message, 'DHCP is not enabled for "Ethernet0"', and assuming you actually have Internet/Network Connectivity, which I do with a static IP set and received the same Windows message, then I'd just ignore the message.  If you do not have Internet/Network Connectivity then that's a different story! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mdelvecchio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodyZ wrote:

the only aspect of this that is on the VMware Fusion side of things is to set the Virtual Machine's Network Adapter to Bridged under its Settings and obviously select the appropriate adapter under Bridged Networking on the Network Adapter sheet.

that was it! you the man, Wood.

i left it in the default, Autodetect. i believe the options below that indicate which network, say if i were connected to a wifi in addition to ethernet. but since I'm only using the ethernet on the host, autodetect is the same as picking ethernet.

Screen Shot 2014-04-24 at 11.39.07 AM.png

thanks!

matt

0 Kudos