VMware Communities
MyCommunityName
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows Server 2012 R2 VM -- Enable Hyper-V

I have a 2013 MBP with Core i7, 16GB RAM and SSD's running Maverick 10.9.2

I am running VMWare Pro 6.0.2

In Fusion I have a vanilla Windows 2012 R2 VM, fully Windows Updated, connected to a domain.

Under Fusion -> VM -> Settings -> Processors I have ticked 'Enable hypervisor applications in this virtual machine"

When I got to Roles and Features and try to enabled Hyper-V i receive a dialog saying:

"Hyper-V cannot be installed: A hypervisor is already running"

As far as i know I should be able to enable and use hyper-v. Help?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

MyCommunityNameIsDavid wrote:

Thanks.

I've blown away the VM that did not support Hyper-V. However for future reference (& the good of the community) should I be able to update the guestOS in my vmx file and then be able to instal the Hyper-V role in a VM that was not setup for the Hyper-V template originally?

Yes; if you set the guestOS to Hyper-V, then you should be able to install the Hyper-V role.

The main reason for the two different guest OS types is that Microsoft requires that we comply with their "HV#1" interface for Windows guests to be eligible for SVVP certification.  However, if Hyper-V finds itself in a VM that complies with the HV#1 interface, it will refuse to run.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Under Fusion -> VM -> Settings -> Processors I have ticked 'Enable hypervisor applications in this virtual machine"

You need to manually add the following options to the .vmx configuration file too.

hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = "FALSE"

mce.enable = "TRUE"

Have a look at: Editing the .vmx file for your Fusion virtual machine (1014782)

MyCommunityName
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I tried that, but it did not seem to work. I restarted the VM (not the actual host OS if that matters).

I actually just created a new VM picking the "Hyper-V (Not Supported)" template and it is working on that VM.

I can rebuilt my lab VM on this new VM.

The VM I was trying to enabled Hyper-V on was created by picking the "Windows Server 2012" template.

Whats the difference between the Hyper-V and W2012 templates?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Whats the difference between the Hyper-V and W2012 templates?

The primary differences between the two .vmx configuration file taking default settings and not yet starting the VM's are:

Hyper-V (unsupported)Windows Server 2012
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000e"
guestOS = "winhyperv"guestOS = "windows8srv-64"
keyboardAndMouseProfile = "528012fe-5e19-5990-f152-fea4aa11"

The rest is going to be on how VMware Fusion is coded to respond the the guestOS type.

MyCommunityName
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks.

I've blown away the VM that did not support Hyper-V. However for future reference (& the good of the community) should I be able to update the guestOS in my vmx file and then be able to instal the Hyper-V role in a VM that was not setup for the Hyper-V template originally?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

MyCommunityNameIsDavid wrote:

Thanks.

Yes; if you set the guestOS to Hyper-V, then you should be able to install the Hyper-V role.

The main reason for the two different guest OS types is that Microsoft requires that we comply with their "HV#1" interface for Windows guests to be eligible for SVVP certification.  However, if Hyper-V finds itself in a VM that complies with the HV#1 interface, it will refuse to run.

0 Kudos
MyCommunityName
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I should also point out that Hyper-V is "unsupported" because there are some timing issues in Windows 2012 which we have only been able to solve through the use of Windows enlightenments. Without HV#1, the guest is unaware of the available Windows enlightenments.  Thus, with the Hyper-V guestOS type, you may see occasional BSODs due to CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT.  You will not see these BSODs with the Windows 2012 guestOS type.