VMware Communities
Teuchi
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition

Hello Everyone,

I install vmware in my MacBook Pro and I am running Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition. I am trying to install Service Pack 1 to activate DNS but for some reason I can't install it.

Some people told me that I need to give a static IP address, but I am not sure how to set it up exactly.

Can someone out there help me with this little issue.

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
17 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

I don't see a reason why SP1 should require a static IP address!? If you want to set one, make note of the current IP settings (using "ipconfig /all" from the command line) and then assign an IP address in the same subnet (anything between 192.168.xxx.3 and 192.168.xxx.127 will do) and set the subnet mask, gateway address as well as the DNS server address the same as in the output of the above mentioned command.

Regarding your issue with installing SP1, please provide some details like error messages, ...

André

0 Kudos
Teuchi
Contributor
Contributor

André

Thank you, so much for responding.

I down load the SP1 from Microsoft website, when I go to the roles (I think) to add DNS in my vmware, I follow the steps, but when I get to “insert the disk” I click OK and then it takes me to “Browse” to choose the image, but when I choose the image I downloaded NOTHING happened.

Another funny thing that happened, when the system take me to choose my image I’ll go the folder where I save it and it’s not there I need to type *. * And click ENTER

That way the SP1 that I download appears.

Thank you very much for your help!

Pedro

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure I can follow you.

After downloading SP1 you have to install it, it's not something you select for installing a dedicated feature!?

After installing SP1 and before setting up the DNS server, you may set a fixed IP address which is required for the DNS server.

André

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

If you have downloaded the file frm following ms page

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11435

you just need to run the exe file inside the windows 2003 vm .

just double click on the exe file downloaded. if it gives any error try to copy the downloaded file onto the windows desktop or anylocation inside the vm  and run it.

while configuring dns  if it asks for a disk or image i believe its referring to actual windows 2003 installation disk. insert the installation disk into mac drive .

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
Teuchi
Contributor
Contributor

This is exactly step-by-step of what I do, when I am in the virtual machine.

Start

Administrative Tools

Configure your server wizard

When the wizard windows open

Next

Next

Choose the server role (which I choose DNS Server)

Next

Next----- for summary

Then looks like if the DNS will install but a new window pops-up and this is the message “Please Inset the Compact Disc Labeled Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition CD-ROM into your CD-ROM drive and then click ok“

I click ok takes me to another windows that say “Files Needed” I click BROWSE (to chose the SP1 downloaded) I save the SP1 in my desktop so, I choose DESKTOP but the downloaded file is not there until I type *.* and hit ENTER then the file shows up

I highlight the SP1 (comes with this name= WindowsServer2003-KB889101-SP1-X86-ENU.exe) and click “open”, but nothing happened, only the highlight change color from blue to gray.

Hope I was clear with my details, if not please let me know

Thank you very much André.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It's not the SP1 which you need to select when asked for missing files, it's the Windows Server 2003 installation CD/ISO - as mentioned by avanish321 - which is required. The SP1 .exe you downloaded is a separate installation.

André

0 Kudos
Teuchi
Contributor
Contributor

I download as avanish321 said I check my system and now it say that SP1 is instlled

so, if SP1 is install why I can't add the DNS role?

0 Kudos
Teuchi
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you avanish321 it works

but why I can't add the DNS role?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

When you receive the message “Please Insert the Compact Disc Labeled Windows Server 2003,  Standard Edition CD-ROM into your CD-ROM drive and then click ok“, did you do this?

André

0 Kudos
Teuchi
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I click ok takes me to another windows that say “Files Needed”, but when I get to this step I was choosing the SP1, but I guess that I was doing the wrong thing. But what I choose then?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

But what I choose then?

What you need to do is to attach either the Windows Server 2003 CD-ROM or ISO - which you used to install the server - to the guest OS in the VM's settings.

André

0 Kudos
Teuchi
Contributor
Contributor

I think I have done it..

I mean choose the iso image where I keep the OS. I don't have the imge wiht me at this moment, but I'll try it later and I'll keep you post it.

Thank you very much André

0 Kudos
Teuchi
Contributor
Contributor

André

If that doesn't work any other suggestion, that cames to your mine that may help me to install DNS in my vmware?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Let's try it and see what happens.

André

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

andre is right. You just need to mount the iso image in the windows vm.

To connect the iso image into the guest

1 Select Virtual Machine > Settings to open the virtual machine Settings window.
2 Click CD/DVD Drive.
3 Select the windows 2003 disk image

for details on configuring dns refer  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323380

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
Teuchi
Contributor
Contributor

Avanish321/André

You guys are THE BEST, finally I was able to add the DNS role and some other roles that I have to add. I am so Happy..

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

0 Kudos
Teuchi
Contributor
Contributor

Avanish321/André

You guys are THE BEST, finally I was able to add the DNS role and some other roles that I have to add. I am so Happy..

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

0 Kudos