VMware Communities
ffogboy
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Movie Maker Help

Hi All,

I am new to the Mac and have installed vmware fusion 4.1.3 and windows 7 64bt on my iMac i7.  I am also running mountain lion OSX.

All seems to work well, except when I try to run windows movie maker (I have some files from my previous machine). It fails to start and then gives me the following message.  It says:

Sorry, Movie maker can't start.  Make sure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements before trying to start Movie Maker again, then try to update the driver for your viseo card is Movie maker still doesn't start.

When I installed windows it also installed VM tools and so device manager says that I am using the VMware SVGA 3D.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ffogboy
Contributor
Contributor

Am I really the only person with this issue?

0 Kudos
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you installed the VMware Tools in the virtual machine? Is 3D acceleration on in the VM's settings?

0 Kudos
ffogboy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for getting back.  Tools installed and 3D acceleration is on.

0 Kudos
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you installed Windows Essentials 2012 to see if that helps?

ffogboy
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I have done that too.  Movie maker is part of essentials.

This is quite confusing.

0 Kudos
ffogboy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help,

I think this might be a directx issue.  I ahve found that windows movie maker 2012 require dirext10 or above, however 2011 only requires 9.  For the time being I have installed 2011.

Ultimately I hope fusion will support higher versions of directx.

Cheers

0 Kudos
DanBrotsky
Contributor
Contributor

The problem you're seeing is a known bug in Windows Movie Maker 2012 running on Windows 7 (which uses Direct X 11) that's triggered by use on a machine whose graphics card is only DirectX 9 compatible (such as the emulated card in VMWare Fusion).  Microsoft support article 274135 details the problem and gives links to the available updates to Movie Maker 2012 that fix this.  (The exact update depends on which OS you are running.)

Hope this helps.  It fixed the problem for me.

dan

0 Kudos