VMware Communities
WardC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows Live Essentials apps crash my Windows 7

I've been using Thunderbird as my only email app on Windows 7.  I now need to test an HTML-format mass emailing on a variety of Mac, Windows and Webmail email apps.

When I discovered my Windows 7 system does not have Outlook Express, Google quickly revealed that Outlook Express has been superseded by Windows Live Mail, which is part of the Windows Live Essentials 2011 package.

At the completion of installing the package, I clicked "Close," which was supposed to launch the essentials.  I got called away, and when I returned, my Window 7 screen was black with a white triangular start button in the middle.  Pushing that button launched Windows 7, which immediately reported it had shut down abnormally.  I proceeded with a normal startup, which appeared to go fine.

However, as soon as I launch a Windows Live app (Mail or Photos, so far), Windows 7 immediately goes to the same black screen.

I did numerous Googles and a search of this Fusion forum, and the only reports I found were of individual Essential apps crashing, nothing about Windows 7 crashing.

Have others had success or failure with the latest Windows Live Essentials apps?

-- Ward

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ronelz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ward

Did you ever find out what was causing this? I'm having the exact same problem - it seems to crash when the log-in screen opens.

Ronel

0 Kudos
WardC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, Ronel, for prompting me to revisit this problem, which I've ignored since my original report.

In the interim, I've upgraded to Fusion 5 and installed numerous Windows 7 updates.

When I found no trace of WIndows Live Essentials, I downloaded the latest release and installed just the Mail component.  I encountered an account authentication speed bump.  After that, initial tests shows Mail is working OK.

But I'm sticking with Thunderbird as my default email app on Windows 7.

-- Ward

0 Kudos
Ronelz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ward

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm evaluating Fusion 5 and the windows update manager insists there are no more updates required. What do you mean with a "speed bump" on account authentication please? I use hotmail so Thunderbird is not great for me.

Ronel

0 Kudos
WardC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The Essentials Mail account authentication speed bump was several iterations of authentication technique, SSL on/off, and port number until I got a combination that successfully connected to my email server.

Apple Mail's account configuration, especially the three port numbers option, is easier.

-- Ward

0 Kudos