VMware Communities
netjes
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 8 on Fusion 4 cannot access Shared Folders.

I installed Windows 8 on Fusion 4.1.4, running OS X 10.8.2.  I cannot access shared folders or mirrored folders.

The message says "Windows cannot access \\vmware-host\Shared Folders\Desktop.  Check the spelling of the name.  Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network.  To try to indentify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.  Error code: 0x80070035  The network path was not found."

I have gone to Virtual Machine/Settings and turned everything off, restarted Fusion and turned everything on.  That did not help.

I have read posts about installing VM Tools.  I have no idea what VM Tools are or how to install them.

How to access the shared folders?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
netjes
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Machine/Install VM Tools is grayed out.

0 Kudos
Infi_Ou
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 8 is not officially supported by Fusion 4, you can try Fusion 5 instead.

0 Kudos
netjes
Contributor
Contributor

OK, Fusion 5 is installed.  I still cannot access shared folders.

0 Kudos
Infi_Ou
Contributor
Contributor

Did you install the VMware Tools? The tools can be installed from the  the VMware Fusion (menu bar) ->Virtual Machine->Install VMware Tools. Then you should be able to share your Mac file with Windows Guest VM by File sharing(VMware Fusion (menu bar) ->Virtual Machine->Settings->Sharing).

0 Kudos
onyva
Contributor
Contributor

Here the same! Fusion 5 and the VMWare Tools are installed!!

Is this a bug?

With Windows 7 i can access Shared Folders automatically

0 Kudos
bakr
Contributor
Contributor

This is so bad. I'm using Windows 8 on VMware Fusion 6 on Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks, and I still get the error message the network path was not found when I try to assign a drive letter to a shared folder.

0 Kudos