VMware Communities
Kevin_F
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 8.1 won't see my webcam.

I have a MacBook Air and I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit on Fusion version 6.0.4.  Windows runs great except it has never been able to detect the integrated webcam.  Just today (8.12.2014) I downloaded the most recent Boot Camp support files.  I had some difficulties getting the updates to install, but there is a string beginning February 26, 2014 that was excellent and helped me install the updates.  The problem is my camera still doesn't work.  The last post from that discussion thread stated that VM Ware was still working on connecting the new HD FaceTime cameras.  Can anyone help with this?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
videren
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. I am having the same problem. I got a reply on Facebook from VMware that I should try the July Technology Preview since it supports the webcam. But no, I can not get it to work.

Kevin_F
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for responding.  I hadn't see anything about the July Technology Preview.  It looks like support for the iSight camera is included in that release.  I'm skeptical about installing the Preview because I'm not confident I can uninstall it properly and I don't want it to effect my current environment.  I think I will wait until October when the Preview expires and hopefully, VMware will release a full software update with webcam support.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos