VMware Communities
brunofreitas
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 8.1 shutdown hangs VMWare Fusion 6.0.2 when closing application

- MacBook Pro Non-Retina mid 2012 with 16GB of RAM and 512GB SSD running Mavericks

- Just updated to VMWare Fusion 6.0.2 and the issue persists

- After running and shutting down Windows 8.1 as a guest operating system, I'm unable to quit VMWare Fusion by going to VMWare Fusion -> Quit VMWare Fusion menu: VMWare Fusion hangs after clicking it

- This doesn`t seem to happen after I use Mavericks as guest operating system

- I've tried to disable AppNap with no avail

- Any clues?

Thanks!

19 Replies
GerardWolfaardt
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same spec machine and also experiencing this issue. Cannot quit VMWare Fusion 6.0.2 properly and appears to keep running in the background. When I do want to re-open VMWare, it won't start up again until I do a "force quit".

I did a complete rebuild of my machine over the weekend (from scratch, i.e. repartitioned my SSD and installed Mavericks from bootable USB drive). Also didn't restore anything using Time Machine yet still experiencing the issue.

In addition to this, I also get an "Internal Application Error" when I use the "Clean Up Virtual Machine" option to reclaim disk space on my Windows 8.1 VM. It still seems to "shrink" the VMs disk space usage, but it's a little unnerving when apps give these types of non-descriptive error messages. Not sure if this was the cause, but I also started getting critical disk integrity issues warnings from Drive Genius which seems to coincide with the occurance of these issues.

Also keen to hear if anyone has any answers thanks.

0 Kudos
asalmasi
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the exact same issue on two brand new Macs with Mavericks OS X 10.9 (13A3017 - Darwin 13.0.2). One is a 27" iMac and the other is a 15" MacBook Pro. In both cases Windows version is 8.1. Prior to my upgrade to 8.1 from 8.0, for sure I did not have this issue on either machine. This must be a bug with Fusion Version 6.0.2 (1398658) and Windows 8.1 since I have done two very clean installs on two machines with exactly the same results. It is incomprehensible to me that when we call for support on something like this, we end up talking to an operator who has no knowledge of anything and then we have to wait 12 hours before a tech calls back that is only if you are lucky!! They are not responding to these postings either probably because they are working on a fix but at least it would be nice to know that they are aware of this issue and working on a fix.

YingFeng_Ou
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you attach the logs generated on your desktop if you try menu: Help->Collect Support Information? We will file a bug and the log would be much helpful for dev to investigate and fix it.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
asalmasi
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Ying Feng, the log was previously generated and provided under the VMware Support Request 13407298211. I am still awaiting a response with a resolution.

Best regards,

Allen Salmasi

30 East 85th Street, Suite 3B

New York, NY 10028

Mobile: +1 (917) 693-1100

Email: asalmasi@neuronstar.com<mailto:asalmasi@neuronstar.com>

Assistant: Carol Zampino (Email: carolzampino@msn.com<mailto:carolzampino@msn.com>)

Telephone: +1 (212) 535-6005

Fax: +1 (212) 585-4941

0 Kudos
YingFeng_Ou
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Get it. I've forward the information to the dev and we will keep on track it.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
GerardWolfaardt
Contributor
Contributor

Does anybody have an update on this issue? I've had to stop using VMWare Fusion as it causes drive inconsistency issues on my main SSD due to the fact that I have to force quit the application every time I finish using my Windows 8.1 VM.

What's worse, is that I've had to do two disk repairs using disk utility and both times was after I used and quit VMWare Fusion. It appears to corrupt the disk bitmap. Needless to say this is an unacceptable level of risk for me so I was forced to stop using the application. If this is not resolved soon, I will have to make the switch to Parallels as I've been running a demo version with no issues.

Very annoying!

0 Kudos
YingFeng_Ou
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi GerardWolfaardt,

Very sorry for bring the inconvenience.

We already had a bug for the Windows 8.1 shutdown hangs issue and the developers are working on it.

I think the disk issue you met might be a different issue, do you mind to send use the logs on your machine by try menu: Help->Collect Support Information?  I will send the logs to developers and ask them to investigate.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
GerardWolfaardt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi YingFeng_Ou

I've collected the support information for you. What would be the best way to get it to you? Did you want me to log a support ticket?

0 Kudos
YingFeng_Ou
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi GerardWolfaardt,

Could you just attach the log file to the reply of this question in this page?

Or if the file is too big, you can upload it to our internal FTP Server:

VMware ftp site:

FTP Server: ftpsite.vmware.com

User:   inbound

Pwd:    inbound

Port:   21

And Pls tell me the file name if you uploaded the log file.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
GerardWolfaardt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi YingFeng_Ou

I uploaded the file using FTP. File is called "GerardWolfaardt-vm-12-10-13.4007.zip". Please let me know if you need anything else.

0 Kudos
YingFeng_Ou
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you, GerardWolfaardt. I've get the zip file you upload. I will send it to the developers right now and will keep you informed if there's any update.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Our initial invetigations suggest that this issue is related to the VM being in full screen mode when shut-down. Do VMs shutdown as expected if you switch to full screen mode first?

0 Kudos
asalmasi
Contributor
Contributor

The answer is yes. It only happens upon quitting in full screen mode regardless when and how I enter the full screen mode,

Best regards,

Allen Salmasi

0 Kudos
brunofreitas
Contributor
Contributor

I can also confirm that shutdown works fine and I don't have this issue when shutting down the Windows 8.1 VM in windowed mode.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
GerardWolfaardt
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, it appears to shut down properly when running in windowed mode. Good to have a workaround in the interim.

0 Kudos
Tix4MAC
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I've the same issue and Windows 8.1 shut down properly when running in windowed mode.

How we will have a fix ?

0 Kudos
brunofreitas
Contributor
Contributor

I really hope not having to purchase another update in order to get this fixed.

0 Kudos
carecase
Contributor
Contributor

Same issues (Fusion hangs after closing application, "Internal Application Error" after Cleaning Up Virtual Machine) here with 5 iMacs running Fusion 6.0.2 on Mavericks. Difference here is that all machines are running Win XP as guest OS.

0 Kudos
tomploof
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issues now.   This started out of the blue.   Windows 8.1 just hangs and never shuts down from the windowed mode or full screen mode.   I have to "force quit" in order to get the virtual image to shut down.

Latest version of MAC OSX (Maverick) on a MacBook Pro and the latest VMware Fusion 6.0.2.

0 Kudos