VMware Communities
Downeaster59
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 8.1 login failure on Fusion 7

I have just upgraded my MacBook Pro and its Windows 8.1 virtual machine from Fusion 6.04 to Fusion 7. The installation seemed to go well, until VMware Tools upgraded after I logged into Windows and then requested that I reboot. Once I rebooted and tried to log in again, this is the message I got: "The Local Session Manager Service failed the sign-in. The RPC Server attempted an integer division by zero. " Then the login fails, I quickly get a light blue error screen, Windows reboots, but I still can't log in. I've tried restarting Fusion but that doesn't help. Any suggestions?

Edit: I'm running OSX 10.9.5 on a 13' MacBook Pro (late 2013) with Retina, if that helps!

Edit #2: After weighing my options, I decided that the best way to go was to delete my vm and start afresh. Everything installed smoothly, and now my Windows 8.1 vm is fine.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AMSpradley
Contributor
Contributor

This exact thing is happening to me as well.

Can someone with VMWare please respond to this?

0 Kudos
AMSpradley
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to get back into Windows by:

1) Starting in Safe Mode

2) Modifying the register to enable MSIServer in Safe Mode

3) Removing VMWare Tools using Programs and Features

4) Now I can get into Windows

It's disturbing the somehow the upgrade of VMWare from 6 to 7 and the VMWare tool upgrade somehow made it impossible to log into my Windows VM.

I have not reinstalled the VMWare tools for fear I will have the same problem again.

Waiting for feedback from VMWare on a support ticket.

0 Kudos
Downeaster59
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, you have the same issue I had. I ended up deleting my VM and starting over, which was a hassle, even though I had all the important stuff backed up. This issue doesn't happen when one creates a new VM in Fusion 7. But something is certainly wrong with the upgrade process. Like you, it was when VMWare Tools installed on my VM before that my problem began.  I hope you hear from VMWare soon.

0 Kudos
jalalahmad
Contributor
Contributor

I am facing the same problem after upgrade to latest vmware fusion. The problem persists even if I try to boot through bootcamp partition. Is there a solution to this problem.

0 Kudos
AMSpradley
Contributor
Contributor

Try uninstalling VMWare tools from safe mode as I mention in a previous post.

0 Kudos
poppywood
Contributor
Contributor

The steps worked for me. Thank you for the tip.

I reinstalled VMware Tools afterwards and the problem has not reappeared.

0 Kudos
AndrewBirrell
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem. I cannot seem to get into the SAFE mode on the boot screen though, although I am able to get to the command prompt. I can see the VMtools on the command prompt - can I delete these, or will this create other issues ? My windows skills are very rusty, since I have not used them for many years. This is quite urgent - I need access to files on my Win 8.1 Virtual Machine.

I am running Fusion 7.1.1 on a MacBook Pro 13 Retina

0 Kudos