VMware Communities
dafunk9
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 x64 - No Operating System Installed - cannot disable network boot

I'm attempting to install Windows 7 x64 from an ISO I purchased online from Dreamspark. I haven't had any issues with VMWare up until today. Vmware attempts a network boot when I run the Windows 7 VM, and ultimately scores me a "no operating system found" error. I tried to remedy the problem editing the BIOS boot settings, as well as the VM's settings, but it keeps reverting to network boot.

VMWare's support library is absolutely useless. It seems like other users are having this problem as well, but none have remedied it (other than by resorting to using Parallels).

For a paid product Vmware support sucks balls.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Have you verified that the ISO image is indeed bootable?  Have you verified any checksums?

The BIOS reverts to network boot if it cannot find any other bootable devices.

Did you create a 64-bit guest VM for this?

Did you select "Easy Install" or custom install?  Often, the Easy Install messes things up.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I'd guess it's 99% likely that it's an ISO problem - it's likely that's an OEM license, which can't be virtualized.  That is, if it's even a legal license!

0 Kudos
dafunk9
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks everyone. Problem solved. The ISO was a freaking service pack, not an O/S. And yes - totally legitimate purchase. Instead, I installed Server 2008 without a hitch. Thanks again y'all!

0 Kudos