VMware Communities
Alber2Colme
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7.vmdk has one or more internal errors that cannot be fixed

Hello

I am running Windows 7 in vmware 3.1.3 and after my mac froze I cannot restart vmware. I get an error meesage saying that the Windows 7.vmdk file has errors. I tried to follow the instructions to fix it by running:

sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\  Fusion/vmware-vdiskmanager -R /Users/yourusername/Documents/Virtual\  Machines.localized/Windows\ XP.vmwarevm/Windows\ XP.vmdk

But I get an error message saying that :

The virtual disk, '/Users/acs/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows 7.vmwarevm/Windows 7.vmdk', is corrupted and cannot be repaired.

I have attached the log file.

I hope someone can help me.

By the way this happends after I compressed the c drive in windows 7.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

vmware-vdiskmanager -R only works if you use it before Fusion tells you that the disk needs repair.
It almost never works at a later stage

anyway - you talk about a Windows 7VM but the comand you use is for a XP - VM ? - is that correct ?

I would copy the vmdk to a 32bit Windows host and try to read it with vdk.exe, winimage or other tools.

Sorry - I dont know any tool for Mac OS that I can recommend for such a task.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry - I dont know any tool for Mac OS that I can recommend for such a task.

Ulli, Alber2Colme is using VMware Fusion 3.1.3 so VMDKMounter is the buil-in VMware Fusion option however with the vmware.log file showing there is an 4096 excess bytes at end of file on each of the extents I doubt that VMDKMounter will mount it however wanted to let you know that Fusion 2 and 3 have that tool, was remove in 4.x and is not present in 5.x.  Some of the Power Users keep a copy from 3.x and use it in 4.x and 5.x.  (I actually use WinImage at times because I can directly run WinApps under OS X with Wine and X11. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Some of the Power Users keep a copy from 3.x and use it in 4.x and 5.x.

I am not surprised - on Windows I keep several older version of vdiskmanager.

So far I found no better tool to mount half dead vmdks than vdk.exe - 32bit on 2003 or XP.
vdk often even handles unexpected vmdk  filesize quite well

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

So far I found no better tool to mount half dead vmdks than vdk.exe - 32bit on 2003 or XP.
vdk often even handles unexpected vmdk  filesize quite well

Totally agree and I've been using vdk.exe since before VMware had their disk mount tool. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos