VMware Communities
5300E
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 7.vmdk file not found, but it's really there.......

Had a running instance of MAX OS 10.9.2 with Fusion 6 and a Windows 7 VM, all worked fine.  Had to re-install the OS using the Mac recovery process (alt-R during boot) to remove the JAMF Casper stuff and re-gain control of my machine after leaving a company. After the recovery / re-install of the OS X.. I tried using the original VM file and fusion couldn't find the vmdk file(s). So I restored a VM file 'Windows 7.vmwarevm'  from Time Machine. Same exact results.... Fusion comes up fine, recognizes the Windows 7 VM, but it isn't able to find the file 'Windows 7.vmdk'. When I attempt to start the VM, I get the error message  "Unable to open file "/Users/brucekreis/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows 7.vmwarevm/Windows 7.vmdk":  "The system cannot find the file specified".

I can see it in a terminal window, have verified that I'm the owner of all files and directories in the tree, and they have at least RW permissions for owner, read only for all else.. I have changed permissions to all access for the dir tree and files (chmod -R 777 <dir>), and even reset the ACLs (chmod -R -N <dir>). I can edit the config files using the VMware fusion library console and verify that it changes through the terminal window.  I tried removing the .lck files and the snapshots and re-pointed the .vxm file to the Windows 7.vmdk, with no change in the error message.

I still suspect permissions, acls, or something that the recovery process changed. I restored the original .vmwarevm file again so you can see it's original state before I began making changes and ran the Collect Support Info util. I have attached the zip file.

FWIW... I even tried to import the VM and create a new VM from this instance but it's greyed out in the selection windows in Fusion, as if it isn't recognized as a valid VM.

Thank you in advance...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are missing two of the "twoGbMaxExtentSparse" binary extents, one from the base disk and the other from the first snapshot disk.

Windows 7-s009.vmdk

Windows 7-000001-s008.vmdk

This is a workaround primarily for the express purpose of recovering User Data that's stored within the virtual hard disk, not necessarily getting it working 100% again.

Copy Windows 7-s040.vmdk to Windows 7-s009.vmdk and Windows 7-000001-s039.vmdk to Windows 7-000001-s008.vmdk.

This replaces the missing binary extents with empty extents.  This allows VMware Fusion to see a compete chain and makes it look like a complete set of .vmdk files.

The problem is the two missing extents, looking at the size of each before and after, there will be some missing content.  How mission critical, can't say.

You can try booting normally or first boot with a Live OS ISO Image and do Data Recovery first and then try running it normally.  I can't say exactly what will be broken/missing however barring proper* backups you don't have much choice.

==========

* It is a known fact that Time Machine is not 100% reliable backing up/restoring Virtual Machines under all circumstances/conditions.  Also backing up Virtual Machines via Time Machine is disk/time intensive and wastes a tremendous amount of space for something that may be corrupt and worthless come time to restore it.  At a minimum I would exclude Virtual Machines from Time Machine and with the Virtual Machines shutdown, not suspended, and VMware Fusion closed then manually copy the Virtual Machines Package(s) to an alternate location, preferably on to a different physical hard disk.  Then keep the User Data that is stored within the Virtual Machine backed up off of the Virtual Machine on a regular basis so as to always have a current User Data Backup.  If you have to restore a properly backed up Virtual Machine that is not as current at least you'll have a working Virtual Machine and current User Data to go forward with when you find out your Time Machine Backup of the Virtual Machine fails.

Also have a look at: Best Practices for virtual machine backup (programs and data) in VMware Fusion (1013628)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are missing two of the "twoGbMaxExtentSparse" binary extents, one from the base disk and the other from the first snapshot disk.

Windows 7-s009.vmdk

Windows 7-000001-s008.vmdk

This is a workaround primarily for the express purpose of recovering User Data that's stored within the virtual hard disk, not necessarily getting it working 100% again.

Copy Windows 7-s040.vmdk to Windows 7-s009.vmdk and Windows 7-000001-s039.vmdk to Windows 7-000001-s008.vmdk.

This replaces the missing binary extents with empty extents.  This allows VMware Fusion to see a compete chain and makes it look like a complete set of .vmdk files.

The problem is the two missing extents, looking at the size of each before and after, there will be some missing content.  How mission critical, can't say.

You can try booting normally or first boot with a Live OS ISO Image and do Data Recovery first and then try running it normally.  I can't say exactly what will be broken/missing however barring proper* backups you don't have much choice.

==========

* It is a known fact that Time Machine is not 100% reliable backing up/restoring Virtual Machines under all circumstances/conditions.  Also backing up Virtual Machines via Time Machine is disk/time intensive and wastes a tremendous amount of space for something that may be corrupt and worthless come time to restore it.  At a minimum I would exclude Virtual Machines from Time Machine and with the Virtual Machines shutdown, not suspended, and VMware Fusion closed then manually copy the Virtual Machines Package(s) to an alternate location, preferably on to a different physical hard disk.  Then keep the User Data that is stored within the Virtual Machine backed up off of the Virtual Machine on a regular basis so as to always have a current User Data Backup.  If you have to restore a properly backed up Virtual Machine that is not as current at least you'll have a working Virtual Machine and current User Data to go forward with when you find out your Time Machine Backup of the Virtual Machine fails.

Also have a look at: Best Practices for virtual machine backup (programs and data) in VMware Fusion (1013628)

0 Kudos
5300E
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That was the problem!   The deveil's in the details and you my friend are a wizard!  I'll stop using Time Machine for VM related environments. 

Thanks!!

0 Kudos