VMware Communities
lugesm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows 7 and Fusion 2.04

Sorry if I am duplicating a previous post on the subject.

I did a search on Windows 7 and found some comments, but no definitive statement about the compatibility/functionality of Windows 7 with Fusion.

Is Win 7 expected to work with the current version of Fusion?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

We won't support Windows 7 until if officially ships. However, the Windows 7 RC is working quite well with VMware Fusion 2.0.4. Check out our blog post for more details.

http://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2009/05/windows-7-on-mac-with-vmware-fusion-a-practical-guide-rev...

Pat

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

At the present time Windows 7 in any release is not supported by Apple on the Boot Camp partition nor is it supported in any manner under Fusion.

However it will run on both the Boot Camp partition and as a Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine as well as an normal file based Fusion Virtual Machine.

What problems are you having with it?

aetm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Windows 7 is not officially supported yet.

But it works just fine for me, and I had no problems with installation of it either.

Set it up as Windows Vista VM, and just make sure it has enough RAM (1 GB should do to start with).

lugesm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have not yet attempted to load Windows 7 under Fusion on my iMac, although I have been running the beta version of Win7 on a Windows machine since it was first released.

As you know, the Win7 RC version is available today, and I am going to try and load it under Fusion 2.04. I have been running Fusion/WinXP on my 24" Al iMac for over a year with no problems.

Thanks for your comments.

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

We won't support Windows 7 until if officially ships. However, the Windows 7 RC is working quite well with VMware Fusion 2.0.4. Check out our blog post for more details.

http://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2009/05/windows-7-on-mac-with-vmware-fusion-a-practical-guide-rev...

Pat

0 Kudos
dyeltonDC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Been running Windows 7 RC with VMware Fusion 2.04 as a VM (not bootcamp) since it was released last week to TechNet Plus subscribers, but I've noticed an issue with connecting USB devices. I realize VMware Fusion doesn't currently support Windows 7, but I'm curious if anyone else is having this particular issue.

For example, I have a HP Deskjet D2330 inkjet printer connected to my MBP via USB. Windows 7 won't recognize the device if you plug it in when Windows 7 is running so I attempted to start Windows 7 with that USB connection enabled. Unfortunately VMware Fusion causes OSX (10.5.6) to lock up requiring a forced shutdown when Windows 7 gets to the point where it looks for USB devices. If I disconnect the USB device (printer in this instance) it will boot properly. This is reproducable.

0 Kudos
Guille779
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've just installed Windows 7 x64 RC and it's working quite nice, you should choose Windows Server 2008 x64 as the template and you should be fine. However, I haven't been able to use my iSight camera.

0 Kudos
Stokestack
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the Windows 7 RC working well under Fusion 2.0.4, but there's no sound.

Update: Never mind. Sound works. Don't know what the story was before.

0 Kudos
clanbear
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have been running the Beta Windows 7 x64 with little problems and went to upgrade and run a new version of 7 RC x64. I have tried it as a Windows 2008 Server x64 and Vista x64 a few times and I get the error on the cd/dvd drive "Cannot Connect virtual device ide 1:0

Any suggestions? I have the drivers downloaded for Boot Camp drivers and have installed them both was and it does not help the identification of the device.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have the Windows 7 RC working well under Fusion 2.0.4, but there's no sound.

Update: Never mind. Sound works. Don't know what the story was before.

It is normal and expected to not have sound after installing Windows 7 RC until after the Driver is installed via Windows Update.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have been running the Beta Windows 7 x64 with little problems and went to upgrade and run a new version of 7 RC x64. I have tried it as a Windows 2008 Server x64 and Vista x64 a few times and I get the error on the cd/dvd drive "Cannot Connect virtual device ide 1:0

Is the error message coming from Fusion or Windows? If the error is coming from Fusion then archive and attach the .vmx configuration file and the vmware log files (usually 4 of them) for the target Virtual Machine and you can follow the directions in to help you with that.

If the error is coming from Windows and I do not know if this is applicable to your situation however it's the only thing I could think of without additional information so have a look at the following Microsoft KB Article. Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

0 Kudos
clanbear
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks WoodyZ, it is coming from VMWare. I will grab the file and upload it and see what we can find out.

0 Kudos
MDDobbins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The MS article and built-in "Fix-It" program worked for my Vista VM! I was trying to upgrade to the Windows 7 RC and no CD/DVD drive was detected, no matter what I did!

0 Kudos