VMware Communities
leebennett
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 VM locked up after windows update/disk space issue

I'm stumped.

I was performing updates in a Windows 7 VM on Fusion 10. The last update didn't finish, citing an out-of-disk-space error (which I thought was odd because I don't store much in the VM C:\ drive). I ran the cleanup utility and among items to remove were 20+GB of temp files. After doing that, I ran the update again. Eventually I got to the generic blue full screen of updates being completed. It reached 100% and stalled. Didn't want to try restarting, and maybe I was a dummy for doing so, but after about 15 minutes, I tried sending a restart command from VMware. Nothing happened. I couldn't quit the VMware Fusion app either. I force quit it (probably another mistake). Now, when it relaunches, the VM in the library says the machine is running, even though it shouldn't be, and I can't do a thing with it. Anything else I should try?

If necessary, I already began a few weeks ago prepping a Windows 10 VM. IT hasn't connected it to the internal network yet, but if my Windows 7 VM can't be fully recovered, is there anything I *can* get out of it and migrate into the Windows 10 VM?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
leebennett
Contributor
Contributor

Well, disregard I guess.

I experimented with reloading the VMware file into the library. For reasons unknown to me, I finally got it rebooted.

0 Kudos