VMware Communities
mburgessau
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 Shared Folders on Fusion 3

Hi,

since upgrading to version 3 and Windows 7 I can not map a network drive in Windows to a folder share. I have:

Software Versions:

Snow Leopard 10.6.1

Windows 7 Home Premium (production)

VMware Fusion 3.0.0 (production)

1. Upgraded 2.0.6 to 3.0.0.

2. Created Windows 7 VM using Home Premium upgrade DVD.

3. Tried to enter activation key. Failed.

4. Re-ran Windows 7 setup specifying upgrade of existing installation.

5. Entered activation key successfully.

6. Created shared folders in Windows 7 VM pointing to the same locations that previously worked under 2.0.6/Windows XP.

I have the desktop link that when clicked opens the shared folders. I would like to map this to a Z: drive for example which worked successfully for me under Windows XP.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there something I am missing with my setup and the way that I have done things?

I have read the 3.0 release notes and have removed the shared folders and re-created according to the release notes however this still does not let me map a shared folder to network drive.

Any help with this much appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mburgessau
Contributor
Contributor

I think I have found out what the problem is. Will note for other users with the same issue.

I had performed the Windows 7 install, installed VMware Tools, and then installed AVG Internet Security. This seems to have broken some of the networking and shared folders.

What I have done is uninstalled VMware Tools completely, reinstalled VMware Tools and it all looks to be working ok.

0 Kudos