VMware Communities
entonces
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 OEM or not OEM?

I am completely new with VM Fusion. I want to install it in my Macbook Pro so the I can run Windows on my Mac.

However, I don't know if I should buy the Windows OEM version or the other "regular" version?

Can someone please tell me what kind of Windows 7 should I buy, OEM or not?

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - Buy the OEM it is the same software but you do not get is the limited tech support form Microsofy

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

While this was allowed with Windows XP OEM System Builder nonetheless the EULA changed and now as an individual one is not entitled by the Windows 7 OEM EULA to install a Windows 7 OEM version for one's personal use.

With the Windows 8 OEM System Builder EULA they relaxed a bit and provided a Personal Use clause however that has been removed in the Windows 8.1 OEM System Builder EULA.

While no one can stop you from purchasing whatever version you decide to acquire nonetheless at least you know you're on your own if you choose to not adhere to the products EULA.

Have a look at: Support for OEM Windows installations (1012881) & Activating Windows Vista and Windows 7 (1015925)

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

To the OP:  Finding a retail Windows 7, non-OEM license these days is almost impossible - and if someone can, they run $300-400.  There's a TON of fake ones out on ebay and Craigslist, and many folks are selling OEM ones as retail as well.  But Woody's right - Windows 7 OEM licenses are tied to the hardware they were sold with.  If Apple sells you one, it might be different, but otherwise, you can't virtualize one on a Mac legally.

For Windows 8, Frequently Asked Questions for OEM Resellers and System Builders

Q. Can I install OEM on a virtual machine (VMware)?

A. You may install OEM in a virtual environment as long as you have a separate license for each instance of the software. It is fine to use the OEM version as long as it is properly licensed. To be clear, a separate version of software must be installed for both the “standard” and “virtual” installations.

What the means is that you have to purchase a license for each virtual machine, and each physical install (e.g. Boot Camp) separately.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

For Windows 8, Frequently Asked Questions for OEM Resellers and System Builders

Q. Can I install OEM on a virtual machine (VMware)?

A. You may install OEM in a virtual environment as long as you have a separate license for each instance of the software. It is fine to use the OEM version as long as it is properly licensed. To be clear, a separate version of software must be installed for both the “standard” and “virtual” installations.

What the means is that you have to purchase a license for each virtual machine, and each physical install (e.g. Boot Camp) separately.

So there is no misunderstanding, Windows 8.0 OEM System Builders can be used under Personal Use License however Windows 8.1 OEM System Builders cannot! Smiley Wink

(Click image to enlarge.)

Windows_system_builder_licensing_for_personal_use.png

Except in Japan Only. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos