VMware Communities
Kajukenbokid
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 Mac Air ... external optical drive does not work.

Hi,

I've tried every which way, but the Mac Air super drive cannot be picked up by Windows 7. I am using a Mac Air with OSX Lion.

... I am guessing it is a driver issue.

Thanks

Stef

0 Kudos
7 Replies
orthohin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try this one ....

1. run bootcamp setup in osx in order to create an NTFS partition on the hard drive
2. boot off a win 7 dvd and install bootcamp to the hard drive

Regards,
Milton

Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window
0 Kudos
haralds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is this a BootCamp partition or pure VMware?

Have you tried allocating the USB device to Windows 7 and have it install its own drivers?

As a short term work around for installations, you could convert the CDs or DVDs to ISOs and mount them virtually.

0 Kudos
Kajukenbokid
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

This is a pure vmware install.

"Have you tried allocating the USB device to Windows 7 and have it install its own drivers?"

Yes.

S

0 Kudos
Kajukenbokid
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the bootcamp drivers on a USB stick ... is there a way for me to use them to get the external optiocal drive working?

... In other words, how would I use the bootcamp drivers in vmware's Win 7 installation to update the drivers?

Stefan

0 Kudos
Kajukenbokid
Contributor
Contributor

I just tried using the vmware menu 'Connet CD/DVD' ... I've attached a screenshot of the error I am getting.

Stef

0 Kudos
haralds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, I just tried it on a VMWare Windows 7-64 with Fusion 4.1.1 running under Lion on an Air.

I booted the Windows. I plugged in my USB DVD writer (non Apple). VMware asked, whether to connect to Mac or Windows. I told it to connect to Windows. Windows configured the drivers. The devicewas available to Windows, and worked. Note that if it was plugged in prior to launch VMware and Windows, you might have to Connect the drive under the Virtual Machine>USB & BlueTooth menu.

Note that this is not like an ATA or eSata drive, which is allocated via the CD configuration.

BTW, do not bother to install BootCamp drivers while under VMware - they will not work there since the emulated devices are different from your real hardware.

0 Kudos
Kajukenbokid
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

That was it; the Mac super drive is NOT considered a CD/DVD drive by vmware and so I had to into the USB Bluetooth menu - thanks.

The super drive works but now my Babyface Audio interface is spewing static!

So close!!

Stefan

0 Kudos