VMware Communities
mrgroovy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 7 Bootcamp VM Fusion 3.0 Re-Activation Problem.

Hi,

I'm having problems with the activation on my bootcamp vmdrive.

I have a late 2008 macbook Pro, 2.53Ghz, 4GB, 9600GT 512MB. Run mac os x 10.6.2, & Vmware Fusion 3.0.

On bootcamp I run Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, which activates fine. It's on a seperate partition. Which mounts as "/Volumes/Bootcamp, & owners enabled=no. Ntfs formated 54.56GB.

I installed the bootcamp VM, then installed the vm-ware tools, reboot. Then tried re-activating but it doesn't.

I tried adding the SMBIOS.reflectHost = "TRUE" line in the .vmx but that din't fix it either.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cdc1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Nah. Smiley Happy When you installed Windows on your BootCamp partition, you activated it before you added it as a VM in Fusion, then installed VMware Tools inside it while it was running in Fusion.

So, when you went to activate it again while running it in fusion, Windows Activation looked at your current hardware configuration, generated a new hardware ID for your system, and tried to activate it. But, it was so different from the hardware ID it had on record from your previous activation, that it assumed you were trying to install Windows on a totally different system. So, it returned that message to you saying that you had to call Microsoft in order to reactivate.

This is totally normal, and expected behavior in Windows. Which is why the recommendation is to install VMware Tools inside the BootCamp partition while it's running in Fusion, before you activate Windows for the first time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mrgroovy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Although I din't do a re-install of vmware, could this solve the problem?

0 Kudos
mudaltsov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When you say that Windows doesn't re-activate, what exactly do you mean? Does it bring up any errors about activation, or does it tell you to call Microsoft to re-activate?

There is no way to get the virtual hardware to appear to Windows completely like the native hardware. So a Boot Camp installation will always have to be activated twice - on native hardware and on virtual hardware. VMware Tools should be installed before activating on the virtual hardware, because they will take care of swapping between the two sets of activation information when you reboot natively or in a VM.

0 Kudos
mrgroovy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It tells me to reactivate.

Just did a clean un install en install of vmware fusion 3.0. Started up the bootcamp. Installed vmware fusion. Then when I activate it again, it gives me a no go again :(.

Vmware tools don't seem to hold the windows 7 64 key?

0 Kudos
cdc1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Then, if it tells you to call Microsoft to reactivate, you need to call Microsoft to reactivate.

Go ahead and call them at the number listed in the Windows Activation wizard, and explain your situation to them, if you end up speaking to a human. They are usually pretty accomodating with stuff like that, but I suppose that could also depend on the actual person you end up speaking to on the other end of the line.

0 Kudos
mrgroovy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok I got it activated by using the Phone activation. Took me 5 minutes on the phone though :/.

Should be easier then that, perhaps 3.1 bug fix for windows 7 64bit?

0 Kudos
cdc1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Nah. Smiley Happy When you installed Windows on your BootCamp partition, you activated it before you added it as a VM in Fusion, then installed VMware Tools inside it while it was running in Fusion.

So, when you went to activate it again while running it in fusion, Windows Activation looked at your current hardware configuration, generated a new hardware ID for your system, and tried to activate it. But, it was so different from the hardware ID it had on record from your previous activation, that it assumed you were trying to install Windows on a totally different system. So, it returned that message to you saying that you had to call Microsoft in order to reactivate.

This is totally normal, and expected behavior in Windows. Which is why the recommendation is to install VMware Tools inside the BootCamp partition while it's running in Fusion, before you activate Windows for the first time.

0 Kudos
mrgroovy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sure that's true.

Though what if you would be working with a bootcamp first. And and after a few weeks you decide to buy vm fusion because you hate rebooting. Reinstalling the bootcamp partition isn't really an option. (Only if you like to take hours of re-installing windows + programmes ). Perhaps this process can be improved. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos