VMware Communities
tonus
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 - Activation Failures

Fusion - 3.1.1

OSX 10.5.8

Win7 64bit Ultimate Edition (Retail Licence)

Hi

After successfully running Windows7 as a guest operating system for several months, I am having an issue with running windows 7.

Out of the blue I got the black screen and the "this copy of windows is not genuine"

The reseller has sent me two more activation codes which have both failed.

I am not running boot camp so themessages I have found here dont seem to apply?

Any advice welcome - please help....

cheers

Tony

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Fusion - 3.1.1

OSX 10.5.8

Win7 64bit Ultimate Edition (Retail Licence)

After successfully running Windows7 as a guest operating system for several months, I am having an issue with running windows 7.

Out of the blue I got the black screen and the "this copy of windows is not genuine"

The reseller has sent me two more activation codes which have both failed.

It is unusual for a machine running "genuine" Windows to require re-activation if no changes to virtual machine or the underlying host have occured like moving a VM to a new Mac with a significantly newer processor. Windows activation for retail copies also requires contact with Microsoft's activation servers (or a key management system) at most within every 180 days.

Microsoft monitors and advances detection of license key misuse and piracy by updating Windows Genuine Advantage/Software Protection Platform features in Windows through Windows Updates. The most significant update occured not too long ago in Update for Windows Activation Technologies

At the risk of confirming the veracity of your reseller, Microsoft offers a bit more detail on activation failures by following the "Validate Windows" button at http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/

If that doesn't help, reply back with any errors or results you received.

0 Kudos