VMware Communities
lolorenzo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 7 32 or 64 bit on VMware 3.1?

Hi.

For a MBP i5 2.4GHz and VMware Fusion 3.1 what version of Windows 7 is better to install? 32 or 64 bit? Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No I'm sorry it was my fault. I wanted to see the vmware.log file not the vmx file.

Let me try again, in a different way Smiley Wink

Open Virtual Machine Library, on your virtual machine, right click and select "Show in Finder"

Now select your VM from that list and right click on that select "Show package contents"

There will be a vmware.log file in the list and that's the one I'd like to see the contents from (not a screenshot)

--
Wil

Contributing author at blog www.planetvm.net

Twitter: @wilva

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I think the real question is what software are you going to run. There's still a bit of software that doesn't like 64 bits much... but having said that... unless you are using very specific things, you'd probably want to go for 64 bits.

With 64 bits, you'll be getting the best performance from your investment and it is also the best option on the longer term as it allows you to use more memory in the longer run. The 4Gb limit on the 32 bits version may sound like a lot now, but in 3 years it is nothing.

Hope this helps,

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
lolorenzo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

I will not have to use specific software that require exceptional performance.

I'd like to know if the virtual machine would work better as 64-bit since the new i5, Windows 7 and VMware are now fully 64-bit (now I have a MBP C2D 2.16); or if 32-bit processes could be lighter. I am not a technician... sorry for bad explication!

This new MBP have 4GB memory: but if I running Windows 7 64-bit in VMware I should not share it all, true? Less it's sufficient, ...right?

Sorry for my bad english... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My suggestion is to go for the 64 bits version, it will work better for you.

You're right you don't have to give the VM 4GB, with your MBP only having 4GB, it wouldn't be a smart thing to do either.

Just start with the default that Fusion suggest, if I'm not mistaken that's 1GB.

Your english is fine, no problem. Smiley Wink

--
Wil

lolorenzo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for now! I will buy the machine in late July... Smiley Happy

(How can I transfer the copy of VMware I have now, retained the license? I do not want to use Time Machine...)

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

(How can I transfer the copy of VMware I have now, retained the license? I do not want to use Time Machine...)

Just download the latest version of Fusion from http://www.vmware.com/download and install it using your license key. Then copy your existing VM's over to the new machine and open these as existing virtual machines.

After you are done, you can remove the original Fusion from your other machine.

--
Wil

lolorenzo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You are really nice, thanks!

Now I hope we can solve the problem explained here and it affects me too!

iSight

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks,

Ok I just read the details on that thread.

As I have the same setup here (well pretty much) I just tried it myself and for me it just worked.

So something has gone wrong on your install somehow.

Did you install the bootcamp drivers in the guest?

Are you seeing the exact same thing, as in you connect the USB video device and it disconnect automatically shortly afterwards?

Are you sure that no application at OSX level is using the camera at the same time? If you just used another application in OS X using iSight, then it might be that the application has not released the camera yet.

If the answers are Yes, Yes and No, can you attach a vmware.log file from this VM after trying the above and shutting down the guest afterwards?

--
Wil

0 Kudos
lolorenzo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did you install the bootcamp drivers in the guest?

I only have Administrator account... (see attach file: Administrator account.png)

Are you seeing the exact same thing, as in you connect the USB video device and it disconnect automatically shortly afterwards?

The iSight icon it's grey... became black but immediately return grey. And if I install the driver the installation have a fault... and the name of the iSight during installation it's: "Apple Built-in iSight - Unprogrammed" (see attach file: unprogrammed.png). But probably I don't understand the question... sorry!

Are you sure that no application at OSX level is using the camera at the same time? If you just used another application in OS X using iSight, then it might be that the application has not released the camera yet.

Yes I'm sure...!

Can you attach a vmware.log file from this VM after trying the above and shutting down the guest afterwards?

How can I make the vmware.log file...? Sorry...!

After the VMware upgrade (3.1) everything works fine; I've tried to remove the Xp virtual machine and install another one: nothing; remove and install another one: nothing... I've buy another web cam and works fine with 3.1. The only thing I don't have it's to remove WMware from the computer and then reinstall the virtual machine. (Also in Ubuntu virtual machine iSight doesn't work but I think it's normal...)

Thanks for your patience!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

OK

How can I make the vmware.log file...? Sorry...!

With Fusion shut down (after trying to get the camera to work again, so I can find it in the logs)

Right click on your VM in Finder

Select Open Package contents, the .vmx file is in the finders list, copy the file to your documents folder and then attach it to your reply here.

Oh and as for not working under ubuntu... it works fine here, just tested under Ubuntu 10.04 desktop 64 bits, I installed the application "Cheese" and was pleasantly surprised by the resolution of the picture, it looks actually a lot better as on windows.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
lolorenzo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

With Fusion shut down (after trying to get the camera to work again, so I can find it in the logs)

Right click on your VM in Finder

Select Open Package contents, the .vmx file is in the finders list, copy the file to your documents folder and then attach it to your reply here.

Sorry sorry sorry... I'm clumsy... the only file with .vmx extension are: see attach file

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No I'm sorry it was my fault. I wanted to see the vmware.log file not the vmx file.

Let me try again, in a different way Smiley Wink

Open Virtual Machine Library, on your virtual machine, right click and select "Show in Finder"

Now select your VM from that list and right click on that select "Show package contents"

There will be a vmware.log file in the list and that's the one I'd like to see the contents from (not a screenshot)

--
Wil

0 Kudos
lolorenzo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

...finally the .log file Smiley Happy

(I've see there are 4 vmware.log files...)

0 Kudos
lolorenzo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I read in the previous log that the machine needed "Apple's Boot Camp driver disc in the virtual machine". So I installed the driver (from Snow Leopard dvd), updates via Apple Update but the results are the same: iSight doesn't work... Smiley Sad

I attach the new log file.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The main thing i see is this:

May 31 18:29:20.727: vmx| MsgHint: msg.usb.generic.needsBootCamp

May 31 18:29:20.727: vmx| The "Apple Built-in iSight" device requires that you install Apple's Boot Camp driver disc in the virtual machine. If you have not yet completed this step, the device may act erratically or cause the guest operating system to crash. Do you wish to continue? You may cancel now and install the driver disc, if necessary.

May 31 18:29:20.727: vmx| -

So it seems like you still need to install the bootcamp drivers in your guest.

In order to do so, put your OS X DVD in your MBP and present it to your Windows XP guest, then run the bootcamp driver installer. (There's only one if my memory serves me right)

--
Wil

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hmm.. Ok, did you reboot the guest?

--
Wil

0 Kudos
lolorenzo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmm.. Ok, did you reboot the guest?

Yes, twice...

So it seems like you still need to install the bootcamp drivers in your guest.

I only have the Administrator account; have I to activate the guest account? I don't think...

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No no, with guest I meant "Guest Operating System" So windows XP in your case.

I'm not sure what else to try at this stage. It should work, but it doesn't... ?:|

There's two other things I noticed while reading your logs, but I think they are both unrelated.

1) There was a notice that there's a CPU microcode update for your CPU.

2) You are using an ATI graphics adapter with a buggy driver.

But I guess you are up to date with Mac OS X, so both should be fine.... really... and even if they were not, then it doesn't sound like this would be related to your problem with iSight. You could try to reboot the whole laptop (including OS X) but that's shot in the dark (which is likely to miss... )

Hmmm...

--

Wil

VI-Toolkit & scripts wiki at

0 Kudos
lolorenzo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

But I guess you are up to date with Mac OS X

Yes...

You could try to reboot the whole laptop (including OS X) but that's shot in the dark (which is likely to miss... )

I reboot the laptop... nothing...

I can tray to download the 3.0.2 to test if work...

0 Kudos
lolorenzo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmmm...

From the official thread...

with 3.0.2 iSight works

I attach the .tgz file, if it helps...

0 Kudos