VMware Communities
albatros99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 11 under Fusion 12.2.4 not possible to install

Since the new version Fusion 12.2.4, i can't install windows 11 64 bit.

I can encrpted the disk and install the tpm modules.

The iso-files startet and by clicking on "Installation" the installation is broken!

What must be do in the new version, with 12.2.3 there was not a problem!

Thanks for help!

cg

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Can you expand on "the installation is broken". Exact error messages and screen shots would be helpful.

I assume you're installing from ISO media, and you have set the virtual machine type to "Windows 10 x64 and later".

What is the ISO media that you're using for installation?

And, have you tried the VMware Fusion 22H2 Tech Preview to see if that works - the focus of the next set of VMware desktop hypervisor releases (Fusion/Workstation) is Windows 11 support.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

FYI - I just installed Windows 11 x64 under Fusion 12.2.4 on my relatively ancient Mac mini 2014.

I downloaded a fresh copy of the US English Windows 11 installer from Microsoft (file name Win11_English_x64v1.iso). The VM was created with OS type of Windows 10 x64 and later, encrypted (the standard encryption, not the experimental vTPM), TPM device, UEFI Secure Boot, 2 cores,  4GB of memory, bridged networking (NAT networking is wonky on Fusion) and a 64GB hard drive.

The only glitch was the setup out-of-box-experience (OOBE) hung for a little while on keyboard detection, and threw an error about "Something went wrong" with the test OOBEKEYBOARD

Skipping the error allowed the installation to continue. The VM installed fine.

I was able to install the latest version of VMware Tools 12.0.something from the VMware customer portal.

I'm in the middle of installing on the 22H2 Tech Preview. So far there's not been an issue other than the same OOBEKEYBOARD error message, which I skipped.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I think that at this point, for Win 11 the tech preview is the way to go.  On intel, it's essentially full featured, and a lot more Win 11 friendly.

Who knows what the 2H22 release will do though.

0 Kudos