VMware Communities
bnilsson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 11 processor support

Hi,

I have a macPro61 running Fusion and a virtual Windows 10, and I am trying to upgrade to Windows 11.

My virtual Win10 "System" says I have a processor"Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz" which is not in the list oft Win11 supported processors.

Also, regardless of how many processors i set in the virtual machine settings, the reported amount of cores in Windows is always 1. Windows 11 requires 2 cores.

Is Win10 to Win11 upgrade impossible on my platform?

BN

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes, there is a registry entry to bypass the CPU and TPM check.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ways-to-install-windows-11-e0edbbfb-cfc5-4011-868b-2ce77...

Make sure you have a backup of the VM (a full copy, not using Time Machine as Time Machine is not good in handling VMs) before attempting the upgrade.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Shut down the VM and edit the vmx configuration. It is probably missing this line.

cpuid.coresPerSocket = "n"

It is best that the value of n is an even number (the only exception being 1).

The other parameter numvCPUs will affect the number of virtual sockets inside the Windows VM. For Windows Home, only 1 virtual socket is supported and 2 virtual sockets can be supported on Windows Professional.

So numvCPUs / cpuid.coresPerSocket should be equal value if your VM is Windows Home. Example

numvcpus = "4"
cpuid.coresPerSocket = "4"

For Windows Professional you can have

numvcpus = "2"
cpuid.coresPerSocket = "1"
or
numvcpus = "4"
cpuid.coresPerSocket = "2"

as 2 numvCPUs / 1 coresperSocket = 2 virtual sockets or 4 numvCPUs / 2 coresPerSocket = 2 virtual sockets

You don't indicate what version of Fusion you are using.

If you plan to add a virtual TPM, Fusion 12.x has an experimental feature to only partially encrypt the VM. It is experimental so there are issues (you won't be able to transfer and run the VM on another host, the password is not known and it is difficult to remove the partial encryption).

If you will encrypt the entire VM to add the virtual TPM (this is the standard feature since Fusion 10.x including the virtual disks in its entirety), the virtual disks should be preallocated. By definition, encrypted virtuald disks won't be able to write contiguous zeroes so you won't be able to shrink them (the Clean Up function in the General settings) and it will just continually grow.

You also of course can use the registry entries to bypass both the CPU and TPM check on the Windows 11 upgrade.

bnilsson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am using Fusion Player Version 12.2.3 (19436697)

Thanks, now two cores are detected after applying your suggested mod. Only numvcpus was present, not Cupid.coresPerSocket. Strange that this happens for a freshly created vm.

Now the only remaining Windows HealthCheck app complaint is "processor not supported"

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz not in the supported cpu list.

If I understand you correctly, this can be bypassed in the Win11 upgrade?

BN

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes, there is a registry entry to bypass the CPU and TPM check.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ways-to-install-windows-11-e0edbbfb-cfc5-4011-868b-2ce77...

Make sure you have a backup of the VM (a full copy, not using Time Machine as Time Machine is not good in handling VMs) before attempting the upgrade.

0 Kudos
bnilsson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Tried it, and the TPM and CPU check override in the registry was ignored.

I was not allowed to upgrade - "The PC must support TPM 2.0".

I used the media Setup.exe, and also MediaCreationTool, same thing.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup\AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU = (REG_DWORD) 1

I guess this is getting off-topic soon...?

Later: Ok, finally I decided to dare encryption and adding a TPM module. Then I could proceed with a warning.

0 Kudos
bnilsson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Win11 is working now, after I encrypted the machine. I am not so happy about this, is it possible to do the same without disk encryption?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hopefully the next version of Fusion will decouple TPM and encryption, but for now, I think that's the only option.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

@bnilsson wrote:

Win11 is working now, after I encrypted the machine. I am not so happy about this, is it possible to do the same without disk encryption?

You can remove the encryption after you did the upgrade.

That has been reported to work. Not a supported environment (obviously), but if it helps...

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
bnilsson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Strange.

Machine settings says I cannot remove the encryption unless I remove the TPM module.

The TPM module warns that all encrypted data will be lost uncrecoverably if it is removed.

How can I remove the encryption without losing everything?

BN

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Perhaps this might help:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Is-there-a-tool-to-allow-editing-of-an-e...

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Obviously you should make a full VM backup before doing this, but I was referring to a post like this one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vmware/comments/scq5zp/lessons_upgrading_windows_10_guest_to_windows_11/

I'm also assuming you did not use the experimental vTPM as that one has more foot gun capabilities.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos