VMware Communities
mquintas2001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 11 ARM processor not supported (Mac Mini M1)

Just installed Fusion 13 on Mac Mini M1

I was able to setup a Windows 11 ARM VM but I get the unsupported processor error below for PC Health compatibility check.
Is this a current limitation or am i missing something?

Thanks a lot

Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 23.40.44.png

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Oh, to extend.  The root cause seems to be enrollment in the windows insider program (which the vhdx file automatically is).  So if you go the ISO route, just do a regular install and don't enroll.

View solution in original post

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

PC Health check will always fail on a VM running on M1 Macs, because the Apple Silicon CPU is not on Microsoft blessed chipset list that PC Health Check consults.

That does not mean that Windows for ARM will not run on M1 Macs. The signup for the Windows Insider program from a running VM is pretty much the only place where it matters. 

There's no problem with running Windows 11 ARM on Fusion 13, whether you install it from an ISO from any of the Windows channels (Retail, Insider Preview, Beta, or Dev), or from the Insider Preview VHDX file.

To be honest, if you're installing from an ISO, you're probably building it from uupdump.net because Microsoft doesn't distribute Windows 11 for ARM publicly. There's almost no good reason to choose anything other than the "Latest Public Release" build. (which is the officially released version in the Retail channel). It will get updates from Microsoft on "patch Tuesday" just like your PC versions of Windows.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

10 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Expected, particularly if you converted the VHDX file to build it.  Building from ISO seems to avoid it.

mquintas2001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback.

I will try the ISO route

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Oh, to extend.  The root cause seems to be enrollment in the windows insider program (which the vhdx file automatically is).  So if you go the ISO route, just do a regular install and don't enroll.

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

PC Health check will always fail on a VM running on M1 Macs, because the Apple Silicon CPU is not on Microsoft blessed chipset list that PC Health Check consults.

That does not mean that Windows for ARM will not run on M1 Macs. The signup for the Windows Insider program from a running VM is pretty much the only place where it matters. 

There's no problem with running Windows 11 ARM on Fusion 13, whether you install it from an ISO from any of the Windows channels (Retail, Insider Preview, Beta, or Dev), or from the Insider Preview VHDX file.

To be honest, if you're installing from an ISO, you're probably building it from uupdump.net because Microsoft doesn't distribute Windows 11 for ARM publicly. There's almost no good reason to choose anything other than the "Latest Public Release" build. (which is the officially released version in the Retail channel). It will get updates from Microsoft on "patch Tuesday" just like your PC versions of Windows.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
myusrn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Where does one get the win11 arm iso being mentioned to do a clean install vs using the vhdx -> qemu-img conversation to vmdx setup route?

Are you saying that if i install using the win11 arm iso, where ever i get that from, that i can then enroll in windows insider beta release channel vs being stuck on the release preview track option?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@myusrn wrote:

Where does one get the win11 arm iso being mentioned to do a clean install vs using the vhdx -> qemu-img conversation to vmdx setup route?

Are you saying that if i install using the win11 arm iso, where ever i get that from, that i can then enroll in windows insider beta release channel vs being stuck on the release preview track option?

Follow the instructions in the Unofficial Fusion 13 for Apple Silicon Companion Guide to obtain and install Windows 11 ARM. The instructions include how to get an ISO for installation. 

You still will not be able to sign up for the Insider program until VMware gains the same kind of blessing from Microsoft that Parallels has. For the vast majority of users, it’s not needed to run an Insider Preview release of Windows. A Windows 11 installation done with the instructions in the Guide will be a GA channel release, and updated regularly through Windows Update just like a “regular” PC. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
myusrn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the clarifications and additional details. Any insights on if or when VMware fusion on apple silicon will provide unit mode so I can run desired windows arm apps in macos window and not with the virtualized windows desktop window?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sorry, but VMware has given no indication on when this will happen or if Unity will be included

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

... Alternatively, you can find some on https://uupdump.net

The repositories the scripts access come from Microsoft servers (you can open a script yourself and search for Microsoft URL's), so to me apart from the non-official Microsoft website, its perfectly legit. This is how i build mine, and i keep it offline for safe keeping..

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The current scripts on there don't build a current ISO on the mac.  Use the new tool in the unofficial guide to build one - and build a new VM for the tech preview (upgrading Fusion 13 ones has issues).

0 Kudos