VMware Communities
Rusty_1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 11 ARM missing bluetooth device

I'm looking for ideas as to why Windows 11 ARM would be missing the bluetooth adapter. 

I've got "share bluetooth devices with windows" checked in settings for the VM. I'm running "Player Version 13.0.2 (21581413)" on Ventura 13.5.1 on a MacBook Pro M1max.

I followed the guide to get an ARM iso using w11arm_esd2iso utility.  This got me Win11 Pro 22H2 installed with seemingly everything working except the lack of a bluetooth device.

I've tried toggling the share bluetooth setting in VMWare, rebooting the VM with it off/on/etc with no results.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I believe the only way to get this to work is to use a USB bluetooth adapter and connect that to the guest with Fusion.  Then you can connect bluetooth devices directly to the guest.

Honestly though, if there's any option to just hard wire it, I'd do that first.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MerlevedeN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you installed VMware Tools?

0 Kudos
Rusty_1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did from a PowerShell script where the guide said to.

Also just double-checked to make sure by trying to reinstall them via powershell. 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

From what I can see, Fusion support for passing Bluetooth devices to a VM is extremely limited:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Fusion/13/com.vmware.fusion.using.doc/GUID-9C42F404-F254-4E42-A5A7...

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Rusty_1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I read that as well, but I would think the device would at least show up in Windows. I'm not even getting a device/adapter to show.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Same thing happens in Linux, by the way. From what I can surmise, if the device can't be passed through, there's no virtual Bluetooth device that gets presented to the VM. Sp I can't tell if I don't have a compatible Bluetooth device, or that Fusion on Apple Silicon doesn't support passthrough of Bluetooth devices at all.

What kind of BT device are you looking to connect to the VM?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
MerlevedeN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Why do you want a Bluetooth device in your vm? What device do you want to connect into the vm? 

If if is a headset, you can connect to the host and pass through the sound setting to the vm.

0 Kudos
Rusty_1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm trying to connect to this MX+ OBDLink scan tool but I've also tried just connecting do my iPhone 14 as a test.

0 Kudos
Rusty_1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I should've specified, but I'm using some Windows proprietary software to connect with the bluetooth OBDII scanner I mentioned above.

0 Kudos
Rusty_1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Also just to clarify (the edit button isn't working), the Windows guest doesn't show a bluetooth adapter at all--no matter what device I have connected to the MacBook or no device connected. 

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I believe the only way to get this to work is to use a USB bluetooth adapter and connect that to the guest with Fusion.  Then you can connect bluetooth devices directly to the guest.

Honestly though, if there's any option to just hard wire it, I'd do that first.

0 Kudos
Rusty_1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think you may be right. I might try that, but I might just find a usb or wifi code reader and go with that. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
vga13
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

in my case i need it for windows link to phone, in order to make a phone hostpot. bluetooth is needed in order to detect devices and connect to direct wifi 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos