VMware Communities
Hen_Hen87
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 wont join Domain

I'm currently encountering an issue whilst working on a University project.

I have a Windows Server 2012 Domain Controller (192.168.10.254/24). This server runs as Domain Controller Active Directory, DHCP Server and DNS. I also have another server (also Server 2012) running as a File Server (192.168.10.253/24).

I'm trying to join a Windows 10 machine to the Domain as a client. I'm using the IP of the Domain Controller as the Primary DNS in the Windows 10 IP config.

However, when I set the Windows 10 machine to DHCP for its other IP settings, Windows throws an error when I try to join the domain, saying the DNS server is timing out and cant be reached. If I manually assign an IP from the 192.168.10.0/24 subnet, it joins no problem?

Whats really confusing me is that when the Windows 10 machine is set to DHCP and I run ipconfig at command line, it's picking up an IP from the 172.16.1.0/24 subnet, rather than an APIPA?

I've tested the DHCP service by setting the File Server to DHCP and it picks up an address from the DHCP server no problem.

All machines are set to Host Only.

I'm thinking this is to do with the VMware internal DHCP service because both servers were created in VMWare Workstation at the University Lab, my Windows 10 machine was created on Fusion on my Mac at home? Is this a possible issue? Aren't they interchangeable?

0 Kudos
0 Replies