VMware Communities
lundman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 10 with nic does not boot

I have been downloading the Windows 10 Developer VMs, and 1702 worked fine, but 1704 does not boot, stuck getting devices ready. If I disable the nic it boots, but anytime I re-enable it, Windows 10 hangs.

Download a Windows 10 virtual machine - Windows app development

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome at the VMware communities.

I just downloaded the Windows 10 ova from the provided link, imported it into VMware Fusion and noticed the same behavior.

So I shut down the VM, changed the guest OS from "Unknown 64 bit" to "Windows 10 64 bit" guest OS (under settings -> General), then rebooted the guest OS and walked away for 20 minutes. Looks like it booted OK now, with the network adapter connected.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome at the VMware communities.

I just downloaded the Windows 10 ova from the provided link, imported it into VMware Fusion and noticed the same behavior.

So I shut down the VM, changed the guest OS from "Unknown 64 bit" to "Windows 10 64 bit" guest OS (under settings -> General), then rebooted the guest OS and walked away for 20 minutes. Looks like it booted OK now, with the network adapter connected.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
lundman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Couldn't set guestos to "windows10-64" but I could set it to "windows8-64" which I noticed is the same value as the older VM download. Everything works as expected, thanks for the solution.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Cool, glad to hear it helped resolve the issue on your end as well.

Can't help but wondering what version of Fusion you have as I see that the latest Fusion 7 already had WIn10 support.

Anyways, it doesn't matter, but realize that the ova might stop working for older versions of Fusion without changing more defaults (noticed that MS also set to virtual Hardware version 11 instead of vHW version 12)

--

Wil

0 Kudos
GavGold
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank You!!

I'd been struggling for 2 days with a Windows 10 VM exported from Virtualbox. I'm evaluating Fusion 10 which has Windows10 x64 support. The default was Other x64.

For others experiencing the problem.... My symptom was that Windows was hanging on "Getting Devices Ready 50%". A Google returned a few results with this - all said "just wait" up to 14 hours!!!

Then I found this and the VM started within minutes.

ferenc009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was at giving up and reinstalling Windows (how I hate it), when I found your comment! Thanks a lot!

(MacOS host, win10 guest imported from VirtualBox)

0 Kudos