VMware Communities
waldobirk
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 vm shut down due to low disk space. Now I get a black screen on boot up.

I got a warning that I had low disk space on my Windows 10 vm with options to suspend or shut down the vm. The first time, I suspended the vm and reopened it, freed up some disk space, and moved on. It happened a second time, so I shut down the vm. Knowing that vm snapshots take up a lot of disk space, I went into Settings and deleted the last snapshot. I started the vm and now all I get is a black screen. I've tried restarting the vm in Safe Mode but I get the same result.

I am running VMWare Fusion 11.5.5 and macOS Catalina.

I also have an old Windows 7 vm that still works just fine, so this must be isolated to the Windows 10 vm. While looking at the package contents of the Windows 10 vm, I noticed that while the vm itself is named "Windows 10 x64" and the vmx, vmxf, and other individual files are named "Windows 10 x64" the 15+ vmdk files are named "Virtual Disk-s001.vmdk" and so forth. That must have been something that Fusion did because I didn't change those names.

If someone can point me in the right direction to fix my problem, I will be very grateful!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Fusion area, seeing as you’re not running Server 1 (where you created this)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos