VMware Communities
vr_driver
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 hanging on startup

I'm having the same hanging problems as well.

Windows just keeps on loading. It's been doing this now for hours. The spinner continues to spin.

Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 22.08.23.png

I can't upload the logs to the forums, as it's too big. 300MB+
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjvV4uuIk_WLjlOBr5MSTbyiJuO6?e=8kY6H7

I'm running a MacMini hexcore i7 w/64GB RAM @& 2TB drive.

I also run time machine to a NAS.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vr_driver
Contributor
Contributor

After 2 days, it still continues to spin...

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

@vr_driver wrote:

After 2 days, it still continues to spin...

That's because you're having another issue then what the rest of the thread is about. At least that is my interpretation.

The topic is about Fusion 12 hanging on startup.

Your issue is about a VM hanging on startup, you already managed to get past starting VMware Fusion in order to be able to even start a VM.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Moderator note:

Just did another read on the top post and yes it is another issue. I will move your reply to a new thread.

Moved reply from this thread: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Fusion-12-Hanging-on-startup/m-p/2819382...

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
vr_driver
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @wila. After 3 days of it just spinning, I'm now doing a reinstall/reset of the Windows10 OS on the VM, as I know the files are still in-tact, as I could get to the command prompt and still see things. Hopefully this will restore the VM to a usable condition.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Yes, hope it works out after that.
If not then do let us know.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
vr_driver
Contributor
Contributor

After waiting a long time with the VM system not responding at all and multiple restarts and attempts to fix it, I basically concluded that somewhere along the way the VM I've been trying to boot must be corrupted somewhere.

I was still able to recover the files from the VM disk image using a tool called UFS Explorer RAID Recovery. 

It's something I already had, so no love lost there and it was as simple as mounting the virtual disk. It's just a good thing I had a physical Windows box. https://www.ufsexplorer.com/ufs-explorer-raid-recovery.php

I may keep on trying with the broken VM in the future, but I'll close this topic for the moment, even though it is still broken.

Thanks for your help @wila 

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Yes, sometimes it is better to start fresh.
As long as you got your data off, then it is mostly a matter re-installing everything and configuring until you're back to how it was.
Still painful, but a lot less painful than also loosing your data.

--
Wil

0 Kudos