VMware Communities
Tomurusan
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 feature update to 1909 doesn't work

Windows 10 on my 2017 MacBook Pro (latest OS 10.15.6) and Fusion (11.5.6) has always updated without a problem. Lately I've been getting messages that my version of Windows 10 will not be supported  much longer and I should install a new "feature update" to version 1904 or 1909 or something. The update will not install, even after umpteen tries. It appears to run smoothly until it gets to the grey screen that says "Working on updates, X% complete," and then doesn't budge. After a couple of hours at 0% it gives up and takes me back to the Windows desktop (where all the apps still work properly). I have tried disabling Norton Anti-Virus and its firewall, ticking and unticking various VM Tools settings and nothing helps. 

The Windows 10 update installed on my iMac (basically same configuration) without a hitch.

Any ideas about how to install what appears to be the latest and important Windows 10 update on a MacBook Pro?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

How much free disk space has the Windows 10 VM before you try running the update?

You can also try cleaning up the disk (and remove any already downloaded files) to see if forcing a redownload of the files helps.

If that doesn't work, download the Windows 10 1909 iso from microsoft directly and install the upgrade from the CD/DVD image via this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

If you do that via Safari then you'll directly get the .iso image instead of having to go through installing a tool to download.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos