VMware Communities
tullyman
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 does not recognize USB printer connection to install driver

Attempting to install a label printer on system with MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra) and Windows 10 Build 17134. Fusion is V 11.02. When printer is connected, Windows does not recognize new device connection. The printer driver install wizard needs printer plugged in to install the driver. Catch 22!

I have tried resetting Windows USB preferences to USB 2.0 as default with the same results.

The printer is from Wasp Technologies. Their support tells me that I need a native Windows environment. My argument is that everything worked fine for two years - until the last Windows update.

Anybody have any positive thoughts or ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

There are 2 common ways to install a USB printer to a guest.

The first one is to install it at host level and then use it from the guest via the thinprint driver.

This driver can be installed via the steps outlayed here: Install VMware Virtual Printer

I'm not sure if there is a macOS driver for your printer.

The other solution is to present the USB printer directly to the guest. In that scenario you would connect the printer and when the popup comes up if you want to connect this to the host OS or Windows virtual machine you would answer "Windows virtual machine".

If you don't see a popup, then try to connect it from the menu: "Virtual Machine" -> "USB & Bluetooth" -> Connect <printername>" where <printername> is something along the lines of "Wasp Label Printer".

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

0 Kudos