VMware Communities
asiliram
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 10 WM (Mac intel 2018) - Lost my display adapter.. cannot reinstall driver

I have been having issues with screen flickering and bluescreens inside the Windows 10 boot image. Everything is fine in Mac OS. So I thought I would try to uninstall the Radeon software, that worked fine. But I cannot reinstall it.
In Device Manager I don\t see the AMD device, only Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Scan for hardware changes turns up nothing.
I found the correct driver om AMD Radeon page, downloaded but it won't install as it says it cannot find any hardware.
I booted into OSX and opened Fusion and the image from there... Uninstalled VMTools, restarted VM, and reinstalled VM Tools. No change.
I cannot connect external display to the running VM in OSX either. but there is a different display hardware shown when running the VM inside OSX then when booting from the VM.

I have many new issues now, like:
I can no longer project to a second screen. There is no graphics acceleration and can not use backgrounds in Google Meet video meetings. etc .

I have searched the internet for all answers I can find, but not found the answer to this. What can I do to get this VM working again? Please help. 

# Windows 10 latest
# Fusion 12 latest
# Radeon Pro 560x

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asiliram
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually strike that.. you got me on the right path. 
I thought installing the drivers while in MAC osx running the VM in fusion was the same as booting into Windows and installing from there. Turns out it was not. 🙂

And I tried installing from Windows boot as well, but when I tried again now, I realized I had downloaded the wrong AMD driver!!! oh my.. 

So thank you. You helped. 
I found the right driver and it worked to install that. YEAAY... 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What macOS release and what Mac hardware are you using?

Could you clarify something? When you say “Windows 10 boot image”, does that mean you are using Boot Camp? If booting Windows using Boot Camp and Windows doesn’t discover the Radion card, then that has nothing to do with Fusion.

Also, when in a VM, you will not see a graphics card other than the VMware SVGA. The only driver for that adapter is through VMware Tools. And there is nothing you can do about that. The Radeon software will not install in a VM as it does not see a Radeon device. Even if you could install it directly in the VM, it won’t do anything. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
asiliram
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have been using this VM for years and don´t remember setting it up, but did createt it using Fusion (some older version)
Not 100% sure what you mean by using BootCamp? 
I have VM ware Fusion 12 and a VM setup so that I can boot my mac into Windows or Mac osx. Is that clear?

You answer helps a bit. That means it is not related to VM Fusion and VM ware tools then I guess. 
So I did have the Radeon software installed.. today I find it kept crashing one of the programs I use for work. I thought I would try to uninstall and reinstall. So I went to add remove programs and uninstalled AMD Radeon.. something software. It rebooted the machine and imidiately I could no longer project to my second display. I get an error saying "Your PC can't project to another screen, Try reinstalling the driver or using a different video card" So I went to try to reinstall.. but that did not work. 

And now I can´t get a driver installed, because it does not recognise any graphics card.. just the Basic. 

Any other ideas? Much apprichiated. 
I have spent all day trying all kinds of things... but not an expert on this. 

0 Kudos
asiliram
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually strike that.. you got me on the right path. 
I thought installing the drivers while in MAC osx running the VM in fusion was the same as booting into Windows and installing from there. Turns out it was not. 🙂

And I tried installing from Windows boot as well, but when I tried again now, I realized I had downloaded the wrong AMD driver!!! oh my.. 

So thank you. You helped. 
I found the right driver and it worked to install that. YEAAY... 

0 Kudos