VMware Communities
sg65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 10 VM not responding following upgrade to Player Version 12.2.4

Hello,

I have an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) w/ 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, and Radeon Pro 580 8 GB running macOS Monterey Version 12.5.1. I haven't used VMware Fusion for a number of months and upgraded to Player Version 12.2.4 when I started the application.

I have a Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit VM on an external SSD that I opened following the upgrade to Player Version 12.2.4. When I opened the VM, I selected the option to upgrade the virtual machine. I've done this multiple times in the past, and it was a quick process. This time around, it got stuck during the upgrade. I let it run for an extended period of time and finally ended up force quitting VMware Fusion. After force quitting the app, I can't get the Virtual Machine Library window to open, so I've reinstalled VMware Fusion multiple times (and deleted VM files in Library folder) during the troubleshooting process.

After reinstalling VMware Fusion, I copied the VM from the external SSD to the iMac for troubleshooting. The VM was initially stuck in a suspended state, and I was finally able to power it off by moving it to the Virtual Machine Library without opening it. Once powered off, I tried changing a few settings (disabled side channel mitigations, enabled hard reset, power off, and suspend, and tried changing the compatibility to the previous version). At this point, the VM will power on and says "Windows is running", but the options to suspend, reset, or power off are grayed out. I can see the login screen and current time, but it goes black after awhile and I can't access anything with the keyboard or mouse. In order to change anything, I have to force quit the app, reboot, and then reinstall it.

My last log file is attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sg65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Disregard, I'm an idiot. I took at screenshot for troubleshooting and noticed 2 files appeared, one with a different screen. I have a secondary monitor that was powered off and the VM was displaying on that monitor. Powered on the secondary monitor, problem solved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sg65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Disregard, I'm an idiot. I took at screenshot for troubleshooting and noticed 2 files appeared, one with a different screen. I have a secondary monitor that was powered off and the VM was displaying on that monitor. Powered on the secondary monitor, problem solved.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Not a problem It's definitely embarrassing when you find out a problem is due to the loose nut holding the wheel.

🤣

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I've never, ever, never, done that.  Nope, not ever ;-).

The one that's even more annoying is having something run in an invisible full screen desktop.  Now that took me a while to figure out.

0 Kudos
sg65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

😁No kidding. Gotta love that the solution was literally staring me in the face the entire time.

0 Kudos