Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 VM boots to black screen after update

Fusion Pro 7.1.3

MacBook Pro Mid 2014

16GB RAM

2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

SSD

MacBook was in sleep mode when i came back from gym and noticed that the Windows 10 VM was in the middle of an update.  Very weird because I never allow Windows products to update on their own.  It boots into the Windows 10 splash screen with the spinning blue dots, hear the windows intro jingle and then black screen.

1. Sending CTRL-ALT-DEL does nothing. 

2. Rebooted MAC

3. Tried F8 on startup to get into Safe Mode but unable

I have a time machine backup from 24-Aug-2017 but lots would be lost if i restored.

Thanks in advance for any help

3 Replies
SammyRa
Contributor
Contributor

I uninstalled Fusion and re-installed.  Restored an old backup of the VM and it opened just fine.  The current VM still shows a black screen

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

It's because you are Fusion 7 and upgraded Windows 10, the video driver in the VMware Tools that is bundled with Fusion 7 is not compatible with the latest Windows 10.

Your choices are to either upgrade to Fusion 8 (IIRC you would get a free upgrade to Fusion 10) or to try and get a video driver from a later VMware Tools.

PS: If you try and restore that TM backup, beware that the "backup" might not work and save your current VM instead of overwriting it.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
SammyRa
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.  That was it.  Upgraded to 8.5.8.  @

0 Kudos