VMware Communities
mbaran
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 Enterprise Unity Issue

I upgraded my Windows 8.1 Ent. to Windows 10.

When I enter Unity mode, I see the whole desktop and icons using up one of my workspaces.

Is this a known issue? I have uninstalled and reinstalled VM tools.

13 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

It is a known issue and we're working diligently to resolve it.

For now, unfortunately Unity is unusable in Windows 10.

Unity is really hard, and Microsoft changed some fundamental ways they used to draw the Windows desktop, which requires us to update a lot of the Unity code.

Going forward I think it will end up that Unity is much faster and more responsive overall, but for now it's something we're actively working to resolve.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
daylward
Contributor
Contributor

I use Fusion in Unity mode on my main computer all the time.  Outlook on Windows is my normal email client, and I do Windows development using Visual Studio, but most everything else I do on the Mac side.

After waiting until the official release and excitedly upgrading my VM from Windows 7 to 10 last night, I was saddened to discover that Unity was behaving very strangely - sometimes it would show the Windows desktop overlapping my Mac icons, sometimes it would display the taskbar sometimes not, sometimes nothing in Windows (even running Windows programs) would be visible.  I did a bunch of Google searches and did not find anyone else complaining of this problem, so I was afraid it was only me!  But I am relieved to find this post this morning - to see that it is a known issue for which a solution is being actively pursued by Vmware.  I am a little disappointed that a solution wasn't found during the TP days to be ready for the actual release of Windows 10, but I understand that Unity is a complicated thing and it takes time.  I just hope not too much more time.

For now, I think I'll just restore my Win7 VM backup, and eagerly await news of a fix.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi daylward,

Thanks for using Fusion TP build and give us feedback.

a. sometimes it would display the taskbar sometimes not => It's a known issue, and will be fixed in the release build.

b. sometimes nothing in Windows (even running Windows programs) would be visible=> known issue, caused by show/hide taskbar problem.

c. sometimes it would show the Windows desktop overlapping my Mac icons => I am wondering what do you mean by "Windows desktop overlapping Mac icons" as there is no guest desktop background in Unity. Would you please take a screenshot and upload it to this thread?

I really appreciate your suggestion and thanks for raising issue to make Unity better.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Candy1014‌,

Just for the record, I think Daylward is talking about Windows Tech Preview and not Fusion Tech Preview.

At least that is what I read from it. Hopefully he can clarify which Fusion version he is actually running.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
daylward
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

In my previous message, I was indeed referring to the TP of Windows 10 - I didn't know there was a TP of Fusion.

I'm using Fusion Version 7.1.2 (2779224).  Here's a screenshot of my Mac info:

Dropbox - Screenshot 2015-07-31 09.55.11.png

Regarding the guest desktop background, I realize there shouldn't be a guest desktop background in Unity mode, and there certainly isn't with Windows 7.  However, there seems to be with Windows 10, sometimes.  I managed to get it to do it and take these screenshots:

Screenshot of main display (the Mac primary display):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3bsybkwzbxz9o8/Screenshot%202015-07-31%2009.40.17.png?dl=0

Screenshot of secondary display (the Windows primary display, where the Windows taskbar should appear)

Dropbox - Screenshot 2015-07-31 09.44.45.png

I'm not sure what circumstances make it do this.  Other times the desktop background is invisible.  Sometimes the taskbar is visible and sometimes not, but so far I have noticed no relationship between taskbar visibility and desktop background visibility.

This is fantastic to get such a response. I hope I can help make Fusion better.  Let me know if I can provide anything else.

Dan

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Dan and Wila,

Wow, awesome reply, thank you very much!  Slightly bad news I'm afraind that Win10 TP is not supported officially in 7.1.2, but you could try Fusion Tech Preview VMware Fusion Technology Preview 2015 . Kindly reminder, please make full back up, and the taskbar issue still exists in TP build.

0 Kudos
mburstin
Contributor
Contributor

Will the update be available as an update for Fusion 7 or only in the new, still unreleased version?  I am hoping it comes to 7 as 7 is supposed to support Windows 10!

I get the "all grey" background that others seem to be complaining about -- I have not seen any other variations.

0 Kudos
Reedo82
Contributor
Contributor

I am experiencing the same behavior mentioned while trying to use Unity with Windows 10 and Fusion 7 Pro.  I am anxious for a resolution as I can now only effectively use one of my three monitors for the Windows 10 VM while also using my Mac applications.

It is so difficult going back to one monitor ... :smileycry:

0 Kudos
lralcocer
Contributor
Contributor

I am using VMware Fusion Professional Version 7.1.2 (2779224) and Windows 10

I am having same issue with Unity, hope this will not take much time for a resolution.

0 Kudos
lralcocer
Contributor
Contributor

Would like to know if this has been solved.

0 Kudos
mburstin
Contributor
Contributor

I've been running with the 2015 Tech Preview and Unity is working with multi-monitor support in that build.  Its been stable so far.

0 Kudos
lralcocer
Contributor
Contributor

I upgraded it today to VMware Fusion Version 8.0.0 (2985594) and the problem is solved.

It cost me money of course.

0 Kudos
GT99
Contributor
Contributor

Can you provide some information till when this issue will be solved?

thanks

0 Kudos