VMware Communities
scchan
Contributor
Contributor

Window 8.1 upgraded in Fusion 5.02 but can't see the shared local MAC folders

The Window 8 professional has just been upgraded successfully to Window 8.1 professional and every thing seems ok. However, the local MAC folder sharings can't been seen as a separate drive in the Window.

The sharing of the MAC Documents folder can be seen in the Windows Document folder in the window explorer but all subdirectories can't be accessed.

Any resolution?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scchan
Contributor
Contributor

After many nights of trial and error of configuration and asking around for hints, I gave up to fall back to use Windows 8. Then, last week, I bought up that windows 8.1 again and try to see whether I can do any thing. This time, I am so lucky to make it work.

The processes are:

1. remove all sharing setting in the VM fusion;

2. remove the VMware Tools.

3. reinstall the VMware Tools again.

4. reconfigure the sharing settings in the VM fusion.

There are a few times of reboot of the Windows 8.1. Then, It just work. Just don't know why I can't make it work at that time - maybe I didn't remove all sharing settings before remove and reinstall the VMware Tools.

Cheers

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

One shouldn't have to remove the Shared Folders one configured and only uninstall/reinstall, not repair (as it rarely works), VMware Tools.  Obviously removing the Shared Folders one configured isn't going to hurt, one just has to reconfigure.  In all likelihood it was simply the act of uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Tools that resolved the issue and is one the SOP's when having VMware Tools related issue.  The other is to make sure the VMware Tools related Services are running on the Guest OS.

0 Kudos
scchan
Contributor
Contributor

In fact, I didn't remove the shared folders but only turn off the share setting of the VM Fusion configuration. Then, remove and reinstall the VMTools and the share folders of my MAC just display again in the windows explorer. Just that simple but I just can't make it work until now. lol

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You explicitly and specifically said "1. remove all sharing setting in the VM fusion;" and I took that to mean exactly what is said!

That is quite different then "In fact, I didn't remove the shared folders but only turn off the share setting of the VM Fusion configuration."!

Removing settings and turning something off are two entirely different things!

0 Kudos
scchan
Contributor
Contributor

Haha, please pardon me. I was so happy to fix such long lasting issue and had no patience to recheck what has written.

Furthermore, before I performed those processes above, I also did some other actions for your reference.

The VM Fusion was removed and reinstalled a few times but not fixed the issue.

Also, the "network adapter" device of the VM Fusion was also removed and re-added a few times but not fixed the issue.

Cheers

0 Kudos