VMware Communities
navaide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Win98 with Mac BigSur

I already have VMware installed for usage of WIN98 on Mac with BigSur OS. My work requires those versions. What's installed (by MacMedics with a CD they instructed me to buy) is primitive with no vmware folder having all "vmdk" files + several subfolders etc. etc. etc. It's "bare-bones" -- e.g., with both autoexec.bat and config.sys at 0-bytes, no file sharing set up, no VMwareTools, etc. My old Mac with an older Mac OS has all that (someone not available now set it up for me), so I need to copy that capability to the newer Mac. No deadline, no hurry; instead of promptness I need what will dependably work. This should be do-able via internet and phone. From the Win98 I don't need internet contact nor many other functions Windows often provides. My main usage will be with old versions of programs that work perfectly well on my old Mac -- including Matlab plus a text editor called "PC-EDT" plus WordPerfect 6.1 and an old version of Microsoft Word from Microsoft Office. I have one folder on the Windows Desktop and will need to add a ram-disk plus a few more folders for file sharing (which I don't know how to make happen; if my shared folders can't exceed 1/4 GB I'll have to use a temporary small folder before and after every VMware session).  The existing C: drive on my older Mac has the Matlab, WordPerfect etc. -- it needs to replace the bare-bones C: on my new Mac.  I don't know how to do that (you can see my lack of VMware savvy).  
I could use a set of instructions with some coaching. That way I could repeat the procedure later if needed; I'd prefer that rather than a 1-time operation. Can someone teach me how to put my existing capability on my newer Mac?  Do I need to hire a consultant?  If so, how can I find one who can reliably do the job?

0 Kudos
22 Replies
navaide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanx again and please see my latest reply at the end.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

No worries. Not everyone has a full time job in IT and I think that's a good thing. 🙂

As for the example. I used WordPerfect and can understand the sentiment.
FWIW, you can actually get it to work on a recent version of Windows, including using it in full screen, working printer(s) and what not.

But it is a bit of a technical adventure.
See for example: https://www.wpuniverse.com/vb/forum/wordperfect/dos-wordperfect/37606-wordperfect-5-1-on-32-bit-wind...

However if you have a solution right now.. then I wouldn't go and try to fix what isn't broken.
As long as you don't need to connect to the internet, you should be fine with Win98.
At least for now.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
navaide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's successful as far as possible, given the WIN98-BigSur age difference. This level of success was reached through VMware support from a guy patiently walking me through many steps (despite my severe lack of IT know-how -- much gratitude for that). My understanding now is that
* Drag-&-drop offers by far the most practical way to bring files from Mac to WIN98 and vice-versa
* file share from a MAC with older OS also works, only if that older Mac is running WIN98 by VMware
* another way is the virtual floppy you mentioned (probably limited to 1.4 MB -- true ?)
* one more way would use copy-&-paste but only for TXT and less than 64KB
* even if an ancient Samba version could be used it wouldn't be safe
* also in regard to safety, I gave IEXPLORE the extension EX0 instead of EXE -- enough to disable?
* for practical purposes, Samba as I need it (on my MacOS 11.6) is unavailable
I saw an Internet conversation saying OS 11.5 enabled file sharing via Samba but not OS11.6 --
That gave me temporary optimism but going back now seems unwise, now that I have one way to work.  (Monterey is a no-no but what about risk of upgrading to OS 11.6.8 or beyond? )
If I decide one way is all I need, then Drag-&-drop is the one dependable practical solution.
It enables me to bring files into WIN98 and, after I use WIN98 to change them, to get results out.
Thanx again for all past updates and let me know if I'm overlooking anything.

0 Kudos