michael410
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Win8.1 upgraded to Win10, but no network connection

Using

Vmware Fusion: 7.1.2

Mac Yosemite: 10.10.4

I followed the instructions here about downloading the win10 iso, mounting it and running the installer on the guest os.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=212692...

It seemed to go well, but now I have no network connection. Under 8.1 it work fine. 

I can see the device manager > Network Adapters > Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connection, but Network Sharing > network connections is empty.

I found some tech article about troubleshooting the network adapter, uninstalled/installed it and the vmware tools many times, reverted to snapshot, etc, but no luck. 

Any one come across this and know how to fix it?

thx

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jgoodleaf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think I may have found the culprit. I can't say for sure of course, having failed to do a blinded study. But my pattern was to restore my 8.1 snapshot, then uninstall a Cisco VPN client and an RSA client. After reboot, I then initiated the ISO-based Win10 upgrade, which worked. Also, networking is up! My suspicion is that the Cisco VPN client interferes with proper networking installation during the upgrade.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dkardell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was having the same problem.  I searched for Network settings and then selected trouble shoot.  After about 8 things it tried, it finally enabled the network connection(NAT)

0 Kudos
jgoodleaf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem here. I also got Windows 10 to install but am unable to get networking going (same versions as yours, same errors from Win10).

I installed a new VM using the Win10 iso and I note that it DOES handle networking just fine. It's only the upgraded VM that doesn't. I can't, of course, use my license on the new Win10 VM (full retain Win8.1 Pro license) otherwise I'd just keep it.

Like you, I've added and removed devices and uninstalled, reinstalled VMWare tools. Nothing seems to work. I'm not sure what magic the other poster performed but nothing like that has happened for me yet...

0 Kudos
jgoodleaf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think I may have found the culprit. I can't say for sure of course, having failed to do a blinded study. But my pattern was to restore my 8.1 snapshot, then uninstall a Cisco VPN client and an RSA client. After reboot, I then initiated the ISO-based Win10 upgrade, which worked. Also, networking is up! My suspicion is that the Cisco VPN client interferes with proper networking installation during the upgrade.

0 Kudos
michael410
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks jgoodleaf,  I also had the Cisco VPN client installed on my Win8.1 VM.  I uninstalled it, make sure VMWare tools was installed, then did the upgrade, now I have network connectivity.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos