VMware Communities
AMcCreath
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Win7 "....CPU has been disabled ...."

The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system.

OK - so I understand this message (in principal)

But here's the thing. Why would my Windows 7 (64bit) VM work on WS8, WS9 on my PC, or Fusion5 on my wifes MacBook Air, but I keep getting this error on my MacBookPro (A1286 - i7 - OSX Mountain Lion)  ?

Answers on a postcard please.....

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It looks like some Check Point Full Disk Encryption releases have problems with Windows boot camp on the Sandy Bridge MBP.  I suspect you're running into a similar issue.  You should contact Check Point to see if they have a software update that will solve this problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Because it's a different CPU.  How are you moving the VM (keeping in mind that 1 windows license can't be run on 2 machines at once) between machines?

e.g. is it shut down (not suspended)?

0 Kudos
AMcCreath
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response, but I'm not convinced that is the answer in this instance...

For the sake of problem resolution I have tried to copy it to my USB stick and boot it (successfully) from other machines, e.g. a Win7 Desktop running VMPlayer or WS9, a MacBookAir running Fusion5, etc.

Each time I come back to the MBP I get the error same message. The Win7 vm was definately shutdown completely in all circumstances.

Any other thoughts appreciated here as my IT department seem unable to fix this problem either.

VM spec

Win 7 64bit

Checkpoint Encrypted disk r74

1 vpu, 2GB vRAM, 40GB vdisk

Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

post the complete vmware.log please

0 Kudos
AMcCreath
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Here you go.... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

that VM comes from ESXi and still has settings that I would not use in Fusion

delete or comment all the lines that use a parameter with CPUID  - maybe that helps ???

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

cpuid.1.eax = 0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101

Here, you are claiming that the CPU is a Nehalem, when it is actually a Sandy Bridge.  Perhaps Windows 7 is getting upset about finding new Sandy Bridge features on a part that claims to be a Nehalem.  Following Ulli's recommendation, I would try removing this line in particular.

0 Kudos
AMcCreath
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Sorry - I put that in there to try and troubleshoot.... removed it, current log and screenshot attached....

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That's an odd looking screenshot for a Windows 7 VM.  What are you running?

I would try masking out some of the new Sandy Bridge features, starting with AVX:

cpuid.1.ecx = "---0:----:----:----:----:----:----:----"

0 Kudos
AMcCreath
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I added the line - no change though.

new log (if it helps)

Running Moutain Lion 10.8.1, Fusion 5.0.1, config as above

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I should have asked, "What are you running in the guest?"  The "kernel panic" message is not typical for a windows guest.

Let's try masking your CPU down to look like a Nehalem, as you did before, but with more settings:

cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0100"

cpuid.1.ecx = "0000:0000:1001:1000:1110:0010:0011:1101"

cpuid.1.edx = "1000:1111:1010:1011:1111:1011:1111:1111"

cpuid.7.ebx = "0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000"

AMcCreath
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Jim,

You're a legend, it works... Windows 7 is running!... but could you explain why it works?

Will we need to do this on all the vm's we deploy to this MacBook PRo profile/ spec?

Much obliged, truly,

Andrew

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I can only make guesses here, since I don't know what's running in your guest.  This does not look like vanilla Windows 7.  I suspect that there is something else there, running in supervisory mode, which has (a) taken over the interrupt descriptor table from Windows 7, and (b) improperly makes use of some new Sandy Bridge feature.  It gets an undefined instruction exception (which would cause a blue screen if Windows 7 were actually in control), and it doesn't have any way to deal with it, so it panics.

By lying to that software about the nature of the CPU, we can convince it not to make use of the new Sandy Bridge features, and it runs correctly.

If you're not aware of such software, you may have a virus or other malware, probably with some kind of Linux heritage.  It's a bit odd, though, for malware to generate a panic message.

Do you have anything unusual installed in this guest?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hey!  This looks like your screenshot...

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/256066-invalid-opcode-exception-kernel-halted/

Are you running Checkpoint?

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It looks like some Check Point Full Disk Encryption releases have problems with Windows boot camp on the Sandy Bridge MBP.  I suspect you're running into a similar issue.  You should contact Check Point to see if they have a software update that will solve this problem.

0 Kudos
AMcCreath
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Ah-ha!.... Yes, we have Check Point Disk Encryrption on the VM, not a Bootcamp partition. I did read about Check Point issues, but only up to r73, nothing specific about Sandy Bridge; but what you're saying makes sense.... !

This is our corporate VM so I'll get the boys to figure it out with them.

Jim, you've been a legend, much appreciated Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
ReggieSmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

you rock Dude. Was having this issue after a patch got pushed to my VM (used for access to my company's network) late last night. All was fine prior to that, so I need to find out what that patch was.

0 Kudos