VMware Communities
ddelmonte
Contributor
Contributor

Win XP hangs and causes Fusion to hang.

When I started Fusion this evening, the guest (Win XP) started normally but went immediately into a shutdown mode. The message on the screen remains "Windows is shutting down". I cannot figure how to restart the guest. I've tried Ctl-Alt-Del. I've tried > Virtual Machine > Shutdown Guest. In fact, the only way to quit is to Force Quit VMWare Fusion.

Any help would be appreciated. My log file is attached.

FWIW, I have another guest - Win2K that appears to be operating normally.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ddelmonte
Contributor
Contributor

About 1/2 hour after force quitting Fusion and doing something else, I heard the familiar chime of Windows shut down.

I was then able to restart the guest normally. Strange...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

When I started Fusion this evening, the guest (Win XP) started normally but went immediately into a shutdown mode. The message on the screen remains "Windows is shutting down". I cannot figure how to restart the guest. I've tried Ctl-Alt-Del. I've tried > Virtual Machine > Shutdown Guest.

Hold down "option" while looking at the Virtual Machine menu to get the "I really mean it" power options.

In fact, the only way to quit is to Force Quit VMWare Fusion.

Actually, even that doesn't quit the guest, that only kills the GUI - the process doing the actual work, vmware-vmx, is probably still running.

ddelmonte
Contributor
Contributor

That explains my second post. Thanks for the tip and the understanding..

David

0 Kudos
mcuenca
Contributor
Contributor

THANK YOU! That did it for me.

0 Kudos