VMware Communities
anoolio
Contributor
Contributor

Win XP Pro-- USB drivers?

Hi, I'm sure this has been disussed before, but what is the best resource to update my XP Pro VM for it to recognize external USB devices such as thumb drives and cameras? Currently the bar icon turns blue but XP VM (my computer etc) does not flinch.

Also, are there other drivers/patches you would reccommend I install? Am new to this system so appreciate anyone to point me to the right link or resource.

Thank you!

anoolio

MACBOOK PRO 2.4GHz; 2GB RAM; 256MB NVidia;VMWare Fusion 1.0; Parallels 3.0; Win XP Pro; Gutsy 7.10

MACBOOK PRO 2.4GHz; 2GB RAM; 256MB NVidia;VMWare Fusion 1.0; Parallels 3.0; Win XP Pro; Gutsy 7.10
0 Kudos
1 Reply
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

The main factors for USB in XP are:

1. Adding the USB virtual hardware under Virtual Machine > Settings. If not present, click the + symbol in the lower left and add a USB controller

2. For USB 2.0 support checking both USB 2.0 and automatically connect devices in the Virtual Machine >Settings > USB section

3. Having the latest VMware Tools installed via Virtual Machine > Install VMware Tools

You can verify XP recognizes devices by looking in Device Manager (Start > Run > devmgmt.msc), open the USB controllers section