VMware Communities
atakacs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Win 8 / Fusion 5.0.3 - does it work ?!

Folks

I'm trying to create a working Windows 8 VM under Fusion 5.03 and I am seeing many unexpected problems.

Does this really work ? I'd guess yes (or the forum would just break under unsatisfied users) but for some reason my experience is very painful.

This VM Fusion 5.03 under Mac OSX 10.8.3. Windows 8 English 64 bits. Basically just installed Win8 and VMware tools. The VM usually starts but goes into BSOD after a few minutes of use, even sitting idle. No immediate cause - it just eventually crashes after a few minutes.

Is there any "secret sauce" I should be aware of ? Any advice / suggestion ?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If this was your first post then I'd say okay however you've been here for over 8 years and have over 100 posts so to post about an issue and not include the most relevant information, that of the exact error message of the BSOD I'm not sure the remaining information you've provide is of that much diagnostic/troubleshooting value! Smiley Wink

Diagnosing/troubleshooting issues in a Guest OS is basically no different then if running the same OS on a physical machine so act accordingly.  I'd start with seeking support for the BSOD error from Microsoft and or use the information at Microsoft's web site to gather and analyze such information.

Basically without that information all I have to offer at this point it to first verify the installation media of both VMware Fusion and the Guest OS matches its published MD5/SHA1 checksums and then reinstall each and see if the issues persist.

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

What host hardware?

And definitely upgrade to 10.8.4 - lots of bug fixes in that one.

0 Kudos
atakacs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Definitely using 10.8.4 - MacBook Pro 13' - 8Gb RAM. Running various other VMs in Fusion with good results - just that what seems a plain vanilla Win8 install is extremely unstable...

0 Kudos
atakacs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well I guess I will get back to square one a check my installer disks... (although I got them from MS Volume Licensing). Go figure...

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Yeah, something's wonky there.  Are you creating it using the easy install wizard?

0 Kudos
atakacs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FWIW did a full complete reinstall not using the easy install this time and it all went well - seems much more stable. Go figure (same initial media, checksumed).

0 Kudos