VMware Communities
SickJim
Contributor
Contributor

Win 7 won't run after increasing drive size

VMWARE Fusion 12.1.2 running Windows 7 guest won't start after increasing hard drive size from 160GB to 200GB.

Preview before start still shows 160GB dive size, can't reduce the drive size back to 160GB. Tried increasing again to 210GB but no joy.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What does "won't start" really mean? Errors and screenshots will be helpful for others to help you.

I've also reported your thread to notify moderators it needs moving, there is an area dedicated to Fusion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
SickJim
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
SickJim
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
SickJim
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

And what happens when you follow the guidance from Microsoft in those screens?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Also would be important to know

how is your virtual hard drive configured (example: is it the virtual hard disk split into 2gb chunks)?

what did you do to expand your VMs virtual hard disk size? Did you expand the drive size from Fusion and resize the Windows partition from within Windows or some other utility?

were there any messages in Fusion during the VM resize process?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos